Acceptable Bore Enlargement?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Acceptable Bore Enlargement?

Post by Vitamin K »

So, wanted to do a quickie bore polish on my kids' car wheels before check-in tomorrow, but I don't want to enlarge the bores. I've heard a q-tip stick recommended, with whitening toothpaste, so I tried this. I did a check of the bore size before and after polishing with a test wheel with my digital calipers.

Bore diameter Before: .0935"

Bore diameter After: .0940"

Is this an (.0005") acceptable material loss, or am I risking widening the bores too much? I do notice that it's leaving some black residue on the q-tip stick when I'm done.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Acceptable Bore Enlargement?

Post by Speedster »

VK, is this a BSA wheel? I was not aware any bore was less then .096. In fact, you're probably lucky if you get a .096. .093 axles are sold and there is plenty of clearance when I slide a wheel on them. Are you using a Walgreen's cotton swab? Perhaps toothpaste gives some advantage but I think Novus 2 would serve you better. What kind of calipers do you have that can measure a wheel bore?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Yes, BSA, made in the USA wheel.

To measure bore, I insert the back end of a standard caliper into the bore and slide til it stops. Granted, I can only measure from one side. The other is too recessed.

I don't have any Novus 2, so it's either toothpaste, graphite or nothing at this point, with which to polish. (I have some Mother's Mag polish, but is that good for inner bores?)

Oh, and the q-tips are CVS brand.

Speedster wrote:VK, is this a BSA wheel? I was not aware any bore was less then .096. In fact, you're probably lucky if you get a .096. .093 axles are sold and there is plenty of clearance when I slide a wheel on them. Are you using a Walgreen's cotton swab? Perhaps toothpaste gives some advantage but I think Novus 2 would serve you better. What kind of calipers do you have that can measure a wheel bore?
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

Those of us who ream the bore holes use a #40 chucking reamer, which is .0980. I think you'll be fine.