What's enough time to build a car?

General race coordinator discussions.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

What's enough time to build a car?

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

How much time before raceday are your car kits handed out? We usually give the boys around two months. Sometimes it doesn't seem long enough. Other times I feel the cars are built so long before the race it tempts the younger boys to play with them on the floor/outside ect. In fact last year I had one parent ask why her son's car was slower than the rest. He'd been to the work shops,so his car should have been at one time competitive. But his was one I'd seen being pushed around on the floor at meetings. Also there are some boys that would put off building until the last minute no matter how long they had the kit. So, how long is long enough?
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: What's enough time to build a car?

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Franklin,

Good question! All bet that there is no correct answer for it though as what works for one group or racer does not work for all. Yes there will be those that start very early and may build multiple pwd cars and than there are those that build them the night before or the day of the race.

Our Pack makes the kits available as soon as we get them from our Scout Shop. This year we should have them in another week - before Thanksgiving. We have in the past had them available the first week in November and even the week of Christmas.

Now the subject of this post was: "What's enough time to build a car?". Last year I built prototype car in 1.5 hours that my wife 'claimed'. "Honey, did you build me a car too?" This was the night before the race and I started at 10:00 pm. Hey, I had to do something as I couldn't sleep! It wasn't painted, the tires were not trued but were mold matched, and the axle slots were not predrilled (someone in one of the workshops detroyed my Pro-Tools!). This ended up being the second fastest car of the day.

My wife sure was happy! :mrgreen:

Da Graphite Kid
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Here's our typical schedule:

Wednesday night, Week 1
- Explain rules & how to build car
- Distribute kits

Saturday mornings, Weeks 1, 2, 3
- Derby workshop

Wednesday nights, Weeks 2, 3
- Derby workshop

Wednesday night, Week 4
- final registration, weigh-in, inspection

Saturday afternoon/evening, Week 4
- Derby!
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I know what you mean. I keep some test tires and axles on hand too. I have built cars in less than a day that would be competitive in anybody's race. I don't get to race my car until the official race is over. Most of my boys and some of their dads want to see if they can beat the old RA leader. Maybe I should have asked how long before the race to hand out car kits?
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Thanks Darin, This is what I was looking for. Do you think two months is too long for the boys to have the kits? We have some boys that don't come to every meeting, but all try to come when they hear it's derby time. We're having a camp-out this week-end with a walk-a-thon fund-raiser for missions. But the derby usually attracts more attention. We're allways trying to find new ways to make it better for all involved.
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

FRANKLIN WHALEY wrote:Do you think two months is too long for the boys to have the kits?
The way we do it, with a workshop every weekend, and the bulk of Wednesday night club time devoted to derby construction, two months would be too long. Three weeks works out about right. In the past, we've gone as short as 2 1/2 weeks (two weekend workshops, and weigh-in on derby night), but that's pretty rushed. And 4 weeks is okay, but you have more kids who are done and who need to be kept out of trouble during the last week.

But if we didn't have as many weekend workshops, then we'd need more Wednesday night club time.