Does anyone have a "Nellie Faye"-style template?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Does anyone have a "Nellie Faye"-style template?

Post by Scrollsawer »

I have never made a car with Nellie Faye-style fenders, and would like to try to make one for our upcoming Adult 'Open Division' race. I got about a week to put the car together, and a week to get the painting and clear coat done, so am trying to get to the fabricating underway ASAP.

Does anybody on DerbyTalk have a fender template that they wouldn't mind sharing for fabricating fenders?

I tried to use the DT search function, and even went out to Google, with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Does anyone have a "Nellie Faye"-style template?

Post by Vitamin K »

The car I'm currently building for the Masters' class in my son's race is kinda "Nellie Faye-esque": https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v2pe ... sp=sharing If you want the fender template, let me know, I'll make you a PDF.

Alternately, if you're looking to do the actual Nellie Faye design, and nobody's got a template, let me know. I can probably gen one up fairly easily for you.
Scrollsawer wrote:I have never made a car with Nellie Faye-style fenders, and would like to try to make one for our upcoming Adult 'Open Division' race. I got about a week to put the car together, and a week to get the painting and clear coat done, so am trying to get to the fabricating underway ASAP.

Does anybody on DerbyTalk have a fender template that they wouldn't mind sharing for fabricating fenders?

I tried to use the DT search function, and even went out to Google, with no luck.

Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:The car I'm currently building for the Masters' class in my son's race is kinda "Nellie Faye-esque": https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v2pe ... sp=sharing If you want the fender template, let me know, I'll make you a PDF.

Alternately, if you're looking to do the actual Nellie Faye design, and nobody's got a template, let me know. I can probably gen one up fairly easily for you.
Scrollsawer wrote:I have never made a car with Nellie Faye-style fenders, and would like to try to make one for our upcoming Adult 'Open Division' race. I got about a week to put the car together, and a week to get the painting and clear coat done, so am trying to get to the fabricating underway ASAP.

If you've got a .PDF of your design, that'd be great! Also need to know the axle drill locations to accommodate the fenders.

Thanks!

Scrollsawer
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I have a actual fender. I could trace and scan to file 4 you.
I'm not home and would be this evening. When I could get to it.
I have issue with them.
what I mean. Is that using raised axle hole locations. Seems to effect the current shape of the stock standard design.
So I usually make them a tad longer on length and bottom length.
Stock axle height is not a issue with them.
let me know.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

sporty wrote:I have a actual fender. I could trace and scan to file 4 you.
I'm not home and would be this evening. When I could get to it.
I have issue with them.
what I mean. Is that using raised axle hole locations. Seems to effect the current shape of the stock standard design.
So I usually make them a tad longer on length and bottom length.
Stock axle height is not a issue with them.
let me know.
Sporty, that would be VERY helpful. I'll take you up on it.

Many thanks!

Scrollsawer
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I have several sets of those fenders I received as a Christmas gift in 2013. I haven't tried fenders yet because I have enough challenge trying to get these little blocks of wood to go fast without the additional challenge of fenders. They are made of pine. If you are interested I'll gladly send you a set. No charge, but one condition. If you can get a block of wood to go faster with fenders you'll share it with everyone on DT.
email me.
Cheers,
Bill
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I pmed you with info.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, if you're still curious, here's the PDF of my fenders: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v2pe ... sp=sharing

The narrowing of the bottom profile actually happened when I went to to notch the inner edge to keep it off of the rail...I realized that it would make the inside so thin that it made more sense just to pull it up to be level with the bottom of the car.

Maybe we should start a Derbytalk design library. :)
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:Well, if you're still curious, here's the PDF of my fenders: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3v2pe ... sp=sharing

The narrowing of the bottom profile actually happened when I went to to notch the inner edge to keep it off of the rail...I realized that it would make the inside so thin that it made more sense just to pull it up to be level with the bottom of the car.

Maybe we should start a Derbytalk design library. :)
Thanks V-K! I like the 'design library' idea. :D