EASY Pinewood Derby Car WINS using Science

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EASY Pinewood Derby Car WINS using Science

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:Still not a fan of using the blocks for explaining thing.
I actually like that. It is a good visual way to discuss the types of energy involved.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

gpraceman wrote:
sporty wrote:Still not a fan of using the blocks for explaining thing.
I actually like that. It is a good visual way to discuss the types of energy involved.
I like the blocks too, actually. What don't you dig about them, Sporty?
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

The best thing about the use of the blocks as a visual aid is that it explains the concept of potential energy equaling the combination of kinetic energy, plus energy loss due to friction. It elegantly explains why we focus so much on reducing friction because where else is the kinetic energy gain going to come from, all other variables being held constant?

This model could be used effectively by an elementary school student to explain this physics principle.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I imagine I am puzzling a few herected on this.

What the blocks were used for and how they were used is okay .

I thought using thone blocks. That are for babys. Was what bothered me.
a blank piece of square wood would have I felt been better. Kids from age 8 to 13.
tend to be a bit offended with baby stuff at that age.

It's like asking Steve from blues clues. To show up for your teenagers birthday party. Without asking him. And he shows up.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:I thought using thone blocks. That are for babys. Was what bothered me.
a blank piece of square wood would have I felt been better. Kids from age 8 to 13.
tend to be a bit offended with baby stuff at that age.

It's like asking Steve from blues clues. To show up for your teenagers birthday party. Without asking him. And he shows up.
I find it a bit hard to believe that a kid in that age group would be "offended" and would tune out. I think that he made very good use of something that is readily available.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.