Anyone having success with Pledge?

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Anyone having success with Pledge?

Post by davidwilkie »

I've read about using it on axles after polishing by spraying it on, letting it dry and then wiping off, so that it's totally dry, and then putting the wheels on. I also wonder if burnishing the axles with graphite should be done or not, and if so, before or after the pledge?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Anyone having success with Pledge?

Post by Vitamin K »

I won't get too preachy here...I'll not climb up on the lectern, but maybe just this soapbox.

I really don't care for the practice of using Pledge when the rules say dry powdered lubricants only. Some people say things like "It's just part of the axle polishing process," but the truth is that Pledge contains silicone, and it's being employed as a lube.

That said, a lot of the leaguers seem to promote it as a graphite-booster, but I've never seen any conclusive tests run.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

We've used pledge successfully. You polish and clean the axles then spray the pledge and let dry. We burnish axles with graphite and then add to car (with burnished and waxed wheels). Then add some more graphite and do a little spinning (not so much that you wear through wheel wax or axle wax).
davidwilkie
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by davidwilkie »

Our rules just say dry at race time. Nothing about dry or graphite only.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

I don't see how Pledge could possibly be considered a wet lubricant. Yes, you spray it on, but that is done days in advance and you simply let it dry. If you tried to use it wet, it would gum up the graphite and not work at all.

I think if you feel that using wax (which goes on wet and dries) in the wheel bores doesn't violate your "dry lube" rules, then you should feel free to use Pledge. If you feel wax in the wheel bores does violate your "dry lube" rules, then I think you could make a similar case for not using Pledge.

I started using Pledge this year and not sure if it has made us faster or not, but I don't think it is hurting our speed. In no way do I think it violates our "dry lube only" rules.

The only burnishing we do is to the wheel bores. I don't attempt any burnishing of the axles.

birddog
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I use Pledge. Don't know if we are any faster but it smells good.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite