"Lubricants must be dry at the time of the race"

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: "Lubricants must be dry at the time of the race"

Post by Darin McGrew »

knotthed wrote:I think people get caught up in the wrong things. The real thing should be "not to foul the track". I saw a kids car look like you dumped the graphite container when it was tipped sideways to be inspected - what a mess.
+1

I'd check with the organizers. Is the rule going to be enforced as "will not foul the track", or is the rule going to be enforced as "must be dry" with an aggressive attempt to weed out anything that might not be powder dry.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

I suspect they're concerned about spray on lubricants. 4 years ago, someone used some kind of spray on lubricant that gave them a distinct advantage. After that, for a year, we had a "dry at the time of application" stipulation to our rules, but I think it's been forgotten.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

DerbyAddicted wrote:I suspect they're concerned about spray on lubricants. 4 years ago, someone used some kind of spray on lubricant that gave them a distinct advantage. After that, for a year, we had a "dry at the time of application" stipulation to our rules, but I think it's been forgotten.
A reason for "forgetting" the "dry at the time of application" rule is that it can not be enforced at inspection!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

Stan Pope wrote: A reason for "forgetting" the "dry at the time of application" rule is that it can not be enforced at inspection!
Great point Stan!

I think each rule, should be accompanied by the inspection procedure for that rule. Then you have something that should not get lost in translation.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

Stan Pope wrote:
DerbyAddicted wrote:I suspect they're concerned about spray on lubricants. 4 years ago, someone used some kind of spray on lubricant that gave them a distinct advantage. After that, for a year, we had a "dry at the time of application" stipulation to our rules, but I think it's been forgotten.
A reason for "forgetting" the "dry at the time of application" rule is that it can not be enforced at inspection!
I wish there was that much logic applied to it, but it's unlikely. I'll leave it at that.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

DerbyAddicted wrote:
Stan Pope wrote: A reason for "forgetting" the "dry at the time of application" rule is that it can not be enforced at inspection!
I wish there was that much logic applied to it, but it's unlikely. I'll leave it at that.
At least one district did publish recommended inspection steps to go with the published rules! (Same district as stated the "dry at time of inspection" rule.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

knotthed wrote:I think each rule, should be accompanied by the inspection procedure for that rule.
Of course, some rules, such as "no recycled cars", are unenforceable, yet serve to enhance the purposes of Cub Scouting.
Speedster wrote:I don't understand why Hodges Hobby House graphite, also with Molybdenum, does not seem popular anymore.
Might it be that H-E-L is just more widely available? Many local craft and hardware stores stock it (e.g., PineCar P358).