Need new site logo

Forum news and general announcements.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need new site logo

Post by gpraceman »

With the new look for the site, we need a new logo. If anyone has the artistic ability to make up a cool logo, please PM me. I have some ideas of some possible design elements.

Of course, if you have some ideas on a new logo, please chime in.

UPDATE:

I started the logo design contest on Freelancer.com. If you would like to see the designs that have been submitted for consideration so far, use the link below. The contest will run until Jan 21, 2016 at 13:51 MST and then I'll need to select a design winner. I will then work with the winner to dress up the logo design to my tough standards. ;)

https://www.freelancer.com/contest/Desi ... 25158.html
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Need new site logo

Post by Vitamin K »

I don't have much in the way of ability, nor do I have any great ideas.

I never was a huge fan of the old logo, with the stylized dragster. It never seemed Pinewood-centric enough to me.

Maybe something with kids cheering cars going down a track?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Maybe doing something similar to this image would be good.

Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Randy,

Just and idea ..
That might make for a neat logo is to hold a drawing contest for the kids to design a new logo for Derby Talk.
And chime in with the photos .. Maybe the drawings could be of pinewood derby car patterns or of old pinewood derby
racing bill boards or something.

You could pick the drawing or drawing's you would like to use as your new logo.
Plus it would be nice to see the kids art work for a change.
Maybe you can pick 12 and change the web site logo up monthly for a year.

I can draw my self .. but to give you some drawing ideas here is one of the vintage 1977 8 car box top kit.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote:Randy,

Just and idea ..
That might make for a neat logo is to hold a drawing contest for the kids to design a new logo for Derby Talk.
And chime in with the photos .. Maybe the drawings could be of pinewood derby car patterns or of old pinewood derby
racing bill boards or something.

You could pick the drawing or drawing's you would like to use as your new logo.
Plus it would be nice to see the kids art work for a change.
Maybe you can pick 12 and change the web site logo up monthly for a year.
Good idea, however, it may not be easy to get entries. Anyways, this is my busy season with my software, so I don't have too much time to invest in this.

I'm thinking about hiring a freelancer to make up a logo (on a very modest budget, of course).
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I under stand.
Just thought I'd pass the idea your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, I Love it. It shows RACE CARS, which I think Don Murphy meant it to be. I wonder if Mr. Murphy ever imagined there would be a Pinewood Derby car shaped like a Swiss Army Knife with blades that would open.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,

You bring up a good point!

I imagine:
That Don Murphy the founder imagined that the soft pine blocks could be carved..
to any shape or design the kids could imagine.. This includes the Swiss Army Knife.

However the open blade on the knife car.. might fall under the no moving parts rule.

But if the blades could be closed and locked in at the time for the race and still fit with in the rest of the rules..
Would you let it race and maybe give that kid a best of design for making a Swiss Army Knife car ?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, the blades did fold in and it did race. It was beautiful work and belonged to the son of the Pack leader. I chose to never be a Judge. Normally the Judges pick a car where they believe the scout did at least some of the work.
I Love Randy's picture of the 2 cars Drag Racing. It made me smile. I'd like to see the New Logo look something like that. Put them on a Pinewood Derby track.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

OK, I am looking to do a design contest on the Freelancer.com website for a new logo. So, I am trying to put together the requirements. Here's what I have so far. If you would like to add to these, chime in.

Required elements:
"Derby Talk" text

Possible design elements:
dragster(s) or racing car(s)
flames
car parts (engine, wheels, etc.)
racing helmet
checkered flag(s)
drag racing light tree
one or more kids spectating
car being built by a father and child
Pinewood Derby race track

Preferred Styles:
multi color
3D
metallic elements and textures
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I started the logo design contest on Freelancer.com. If you would like to see the designs that have been submitted for consideration so far, use the link below. The contest will run until Jan 21, 2016 at 13:51 MST and then I'll need to select a design winner. I will then work with the winner to dress up the logo design to my tough standards. ;)

https://www.freelancer.com/contest/Desi ... 25158.html
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

So far, I am liking entries 3, 11 and 13.

Number 3 would need a good deal of souping up, but I like the basic concept. Make the wings look like chrome. Maybe do crossed checkered flags behind the logo. Give the area where the site name and stars are a metallic look. Also have the text and stars either recessed (like stamped metal) or raised. The center area certainly needs something more cool there.

Number 13 seems to embody more of what Derby Talk is about. The car needs some more contrast from the shield. Jazz up the metallic look of the shield edge.

Number 11 I am quite partial to. I like the gears, 3D effect and the metallic look. Though, the site name needs to be more prominent and maybe made to look like a slip stream for the car. For the car I would like to see either a F1 car or dragster.
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Just wanted to chime in and say.. Wow! To all that have submitted entries so far.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

A few more designs have been submitted.

Design 21 is a strong contender

BTW, to see the entry number you need to click on a design. I wish they would list the entry number when showing all of the designs.
Randy Lisano

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Number 21 is nice but I have to concentrate a lot to see the car. Maybe if the upper checkered flag was not there it might help. Perhaps the race car could be Blue and Gold and it would stand out. I do think it is attractive.