1 of 4 painted

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

1 of 4 painted

Post by Gtdhw »

This is the car that I started building this year (for our Father/Son race) before I found Derby Talk. My main goal with a car this year, was to see if I could make a set of fenders. I had decent luck with them, learned a lot, and think that they turned out pretty well. Right after getting the fenders fabbed up and fitted to the car, I found this place though (and learned right away that pine was NOT the prime choice for fender wood, lol), and after about a 3 day blitz on the search feature, I decided to try my hand at building another, next-level car for this year. This one turned into kind-of an extra car, and I wasn't going to finish it, but decided to go ahead and do it. I have a set of red wheels that are going on it. Hopefully we will get the other three cars painted this weekend.

Dry and ready for assembly....

Last edited by Gtdhw on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
Nelvis
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: 1 of 4 painted

Post by Nelvis »

Wow! :O Do you paint cars for a living? That paint job is amazing. Really puts my rattle-can painters tape stencils to shame. :paperbag:
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I have to agree. The build is really solid, and the paint job looks professional. Great work!
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Loder66
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Loder66 »

Wow that looks great. That is showroom quality!
Loder
Plano, TX
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Thanks fellas!

No, not a painter, millwright by trade. I taught myself and have painted a few cars of my own though. I just didn't like the way the model/spray-can clear dried on our first two years of cars, so in our 3rd year (two years ago), I decided to try & see if I could get better results with auto bc/cc. The last two years paint jobs, were a little more involved (multiple stages/colors of base coat), but since I didn't have any gold laying around, I settled for a single color this year. Kind of a less-is-more type thing, with the transfers that I had to work with.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Gtdhw,

Very nice paint job.. Hope you'll be running this good looking car on oil lubes. :thumbup:
You know how the graphite is a killer on the white painted cars.

Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

whodathunkit wrote:Gtdhw,

Very nice paint job.. Hope you'll be running this good looking car on oil lubes. :thumbup:
You know how the graphite is a killer on the white painted cars.

Whoda.

Thanks!

Never used oil, so it'll be graphite. I know, I know, white is the worst color for graphite, but hoping the fenders will keep most of it contained to fender wells and off of the body. I painted a car a couple of years back, that had white on the rear sides. It faired pretty well, so I thought wth, lol. The graphite that did get on the car, ended up looking like road dirt from a long road race, so I was ok with it.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Gtdhw,
Are you painting with a paint gun or an air brush?
And when you say bc/cc
That's base coat/clear coat right?

Man you sure know how to make the paint shine.

I can't speak for the rest of us here on DT.
But if you were to do a painting how to
Topic.. I'd chime in.

Whoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

Painting with a full size, 20 year old Matco gravity fed gun, that I've used to paint every car (big or small) that I've ever painted, lol. I know it's not the "right" way, but I've never even held an airbrush. I just "tune" the gun down to acceptable/usable settings on these little things. I do plan on learning how to use one at some point, but I have zero artistic ability, which is their main purpose, so it's remained on the back burner...for 20 years, lol.

Yes, bc/cc = base coat/clear coat, and I do nothing to the paint on the pwd cars to make them any shinier. They are straight-from-the-gun, shiny. I have thought about wet sanding & buffing one before, but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I just use whatever leftover colors are in the cabinet, and have never bought paint specifically for pwd cars. (I pretty much have had black, red, blue, yellow, & white to choose from over the last four years, lol)

If there is interest, I'd gladly write up an article for this place! I would see it as the very minimum that I could do, seeing as how DT has provided with me with more usable info than I ever could've imagined. It's very easy to do (just as easy as spray paint, just a little more time consuming).

(Edited to add: The Darth Vader car had me salavatating. I would love the chance to be able to paint a pwd car like that (built with such craftsmanship) someday)
iflytii
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by iflytii »

Wow! Those look fantastic!!!