Canopy Weights from a Spoon

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Canopy Weights from a Spoon

Post by Titonka »

This year we've come up with something different (but similar) to the tungsten canopy weights. We've taken a smaller soup spoon, cut the handle off and ground it down to make a "half-shell" that sat nice and flat on the car body. We then melted lead into it, right up to the edge. After the lead cooled down, we epoxied the lead back in it, essentially making a larger looking faux canopy weight which will be super glued to the car body just like a normal tungsten weight-with no exposed lead. I'm a graphic designer and everything I do has to look good and function properly. The spoons we used are all somewhat tear-dropped shaped. So, here's my question.....which way should the "spoon canopy" face? The pointier side to the front, or should it taper to the back? Once we re-polished the canopy to it's original silvery-chrome finish, it really looks sharp...kind of like a retro-future bubble top car. I should also mention, we plan on glueing the canopy just in front of the rear axel like most racers do. If it's the pointier shape to the front, that kind of means more weight is located closer to the rear axel. The other way around, just the opposite.

Thanks for your opinions!
Dan
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Canopy Weights from a Spoon

Post by Titonka »

Here's a link to a Pinterest board to show the two options...
https://www.pinterest.com/designtrust/spoon-canopy/
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I like the look of the narrow end in the rear. Seems like that would technically be more aerodynamic, too. :)
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Titonka »

Vitamin K....that's what I'm leaning towards. Thanks!!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

This is a cool idea, btw. I just might have to steal it. :)

How much does the lead-filled canopy end up weighing when all is said and done?
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Titonka »

Thanks for the complement....I just hope they stay on. If anything, they do make it look cool. I updated the Pinterest link with a couple other ones we created. If you have the time, you can get a little creative with the spoon. On one we used the normal shape of the spoon and drooped it to a point over the rear. The other one (purple one) we ground it to a needle nose shape...we call it "The Stinger".

Each weigh does vary. Over all, give or take, right at 3oz. Depends on the size and depth of the spoon. I hit a number of Goodwill's to find a few good shapes. My wife thinks I'm crazy now. Check out the Pinterest link again if you have time.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Titonka wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 am Thanks for the complement....I just hope they stay on. If anything, they do make it look cool. I updated the Pinterest link with a couple other ones we created. If you have the time, you can get a little creative with the spoon. On one we used the normal shape of the spoon and drooped it to a point over the rear. The other one (purple one) we ground it to a needle nose shape...we call it "The Stinger".

Each weigh does vary. Over all, give or take, right at 3oz. Depends on the size and depth of the spoon. I hit a number of Goodwill's to find a few good shapes. My wife thinks I'm crazy now. Check out the Pinterest link again if you have time.
Very cool. :D You should totally submit these to the Maximum Velocity newsletter for their car gallery.
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Titonka »

I think we will...the kids will get a kick out of it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I've been studying all your cars and they would suggest you are very interested in speed. Yep, I am too. Your red car appears to have a stock wheelbase (4 3/8") probably due to the fenders or perhaps rules. The lead weight appears to be not very large but I have no idea what it actually weighs. The recommended weight for a stock wheelbase car is 1 1/2 ounces behind the rear axle slot, although I always put 2 ounces behind the rear axle slot. I'm curious at what point are you able to get the red car to balance. Is their additional weight placed anywhere in the car?
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Titonka »

Hi there Speedster! Normally we'd put a lot more time into designing and building something the looked pretty unique. This year both boys wanted something fast. We haven't tested these yet but plan to this week before our race on Friday. The purple on is my dad entry. Tho other two are our son's. The purple on has a modified wheelbase and the COM is spot on 1 inch from the rear slot. The green one also has a slightly modified wheelbase because it did the wheelie thing right away. I moved the rear wheels back about a 1/2 inch making the COM again, one inch from the slot. The red one (actually a vibrant fluorescent pink) is standard and has the COM 3/4" from the read slot. The kids kept seeing wafer cars achieving better placements than the more unique cars and wanted to change things up a bit....either that or they just petered out and didn't want to put in the effort. they've done a lot of work on these though.

Thee lead weight size....think of a soup spoon but with a bit of a taper. Red/pink car is a slightly smaller soup spoon but not quite a cereal one.

We do have additional weight on the purple and pink/red ones but both have it in front of the rear axle. Both about .5 oz. One I can more, the other we can't. Wondering if we moved it to behind the axle, if that will make much of a difference.

Body weight without lead dome:
Purple: 1.4oz
Green: 1oz
Red/pink: 2.3oz (without fenders)

Thanks for reading and commenting Speedster....I appreciate it!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We must use a stock wheelbase per our rules. I am impressed with the COM on the red car. I never thought you could get that COM with a dome. NICE JOB !
Titonka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Titonka »

Speedster....when we get things put together, wheels on etc, I'll get a pic up. The COM is without the fenders though. I actually forgot to check what it was with the fenders on so I simply laid the fenders over top of the dome and it was still about the same. The fenders are a tad heavier in the front than the back however. It throws off the 1 inch COM from the slots to just a hair more than an inch COM....maybe by an 1/8 or so.....really not much to worry about.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm looking forward to seeing the car finished and hearing how it does in a race. Since I don't believe in Luck, I wish you and your team the very Best.