Maximum weight on PWD wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

For those of you who might not get Maximum Velocity's Newsletter.
Krytox 100 - Maximum weight was 14 ounces in his test. 9 to 10 ounces was maximum weight for graphite. Oil will probably do better then graphite on a longer track.

He brought up another very interesting point which is the stopping distance. I'm thinking of the Truck racing at the Mid America. Does anyone know if there is only 1 section of brake track for the trucks?
We have 2 sections of Brake track on our Pack track and that seems to get the 5 ounce cars stopped. Has anyone ever been to the Mid America and seen the trucks run?

I misspelled "do". It is not spelled "due"
Last edited by Speedster on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster,

I have seen that news letter!
However ask your self if the testing was done for just for one axle and one wheel set ups?

What about one axle and duel wheel set ups For the class A or b?

In the 2015 MA big rig video
Only one stoping section is seen!

Have no idea if there using 2 sections
Now or days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Maximum weight on PWD wheels

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, this just came out on March 6, 2019, Volume 18, Issue 2.
It's in the Q & A section. He refers to Volume 16, Issue 2 (click on the Blue) where the test was done on a wedge car, 3 wheel rail rider, lubed with Krytox 100. That's the same set up I suspect all the Class "B" trucks will be running. What we are basically doing is racing a 19" Pinewood Derby car that happens to resemble a Truck. The "truck" portion can be purely Cosmetic with a hunk of Balsa wood. In fact, if you run a Cabover, you'd be done with the Cab in about 60 seconds. If the weight limit was 5 ounces it would be easy. The challenge here is what weight is going to travel from Pin to Timer in the least amount of time. Also, made strong enough so it can handle the stop.
I believe I need to re-think this entire thing. I ask you, Does my truck REALLY need chrome Plated Horns? I think not.

Thanks for the videos. They were very educational. The Blue car was nothing but a board with an antenna sticking up to comply with the 3" minimum height. 4 wheels on one side the back and 3 wheels on the other side. One wheel up front with a guide pin on the other side. That guy was really thinking.
The trucks looked like they stopped fast. I suspect it was because of the weight.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Yes Speedster!
But the class b rules read only 8 wheels need o be on the truck!
And the over all width rule 3 3/8' for the class b is the same as class a and will let you let run with duel wheels all the way around.
Two duels on front and on back. Four axles 8 wheels set up.

Never seen that done so that’s something to try.

Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Is that a "Yes" , I need a Lot of CHROME ! OK, I'll do it.
I am planning (at this time) a 3 axle vehicle 19" long. 2 front wheels, 1 raised, a rear set of single wheels like a Pinewood Derby car and then a "Tag" axle with duals raised high enough to clear the curve. That will give me 8 wheels with just 3 on the ground and easy to set up as a rail rider.

I think no one is going to beat that blue truck. I've never seen a Hershey Bar that long before. The person is a genius to use a antenna to comply with the 3" minimum rule. I also enjoyed the truck with the Fin.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster !
It’s your build .. if you fell you don’t need chrome
Air horns. Then you don’t!

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

OK. Don't take me too seriously. No one else does. I'm having a good time with this.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the videos. They were very educational. The Blue car was nothing but a board with an antenna sticking up to comply with the 3" minimum height. 4 wheels on one side the back and 3 wheels on the other side. One wheel up front with a guide pin on the other side. That guy was really thinking.

Are you saying you found videos for last years MA Big Rig B?
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

class b rules read only 8 wheels need

And the over all width rule for the class b is the same as class a and will let you let
With duel wheels all the way around.
Two duels on front and on back.
Four axles 8 wheels set up.

Never seen that done

It is interesting that it requires 8 wheels, but not 8 axles.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:20 pm OK. Don't take me too seriously. No one else does. I'm having a good time with this.
It's okay Speedster.. I know your having a good time.. same here.

Yes it is interesting Eagle.. i myself have never seen it done or tested to see if it will work or carry more of a load.
That's the beauty of the class b rules so the wheels and axles can be set up in any configuration.

rules as read:
8 wheels must be on the big rig in the following configuration.
wheel's must be attached to the sides of the body at no more the 10 degree angle.
all wheels do not have to touch .