Pit Road - Car Parking

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Pit Road - Car Parking

Post by mclewis_13 »

Ok, so I’ve used the search feature and found plenty of articles and posts, but all photos are gone and all links and dead or 404.

What I am looking for is either a commercial version of or a how-to for parking the kids cars on pit row where they stay put and don’t hit the deck.

Thanks for all y’all help!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pit Road - Car Parking

Post by gpraceman »

It looks like Derby Monkey Garage, still offers the paper parking lots.

We used to offer a parking lot. We are working on a new design, but not sure if it will be available this season or not.

I've seen people also use 1"x2"s or cardboard box tops.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 pmI've seen people also use 1"x2"s or cardboard box tops.
When I have displayed my own derby cars for viewing, I've just used pieces of 1x2 lumber. But if the cars are going to be moved and replaced several times (i.e., for an actual race), then I'd secure the pieces of 1x2 lumber somehow. A very simple garage would be a piece of plywood (whatever size fits on your tables, through your doors, etc., with pieces of 1x2 lumber glued to it.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

We have 100 wood blocks measuring 3/4"x1 1/2"x6". They can be spaced as near or far away from each other as you choose. They are placed on a table and the table is roped off. An adult is stationed at the table so no one touches the cars after the scout places his car on a block. Pictures can be taken but they must stay outside the roped off area and the adult is stationed there to make sure they do. This is inexpensive and fast to do. We use this set up at both our Pack race and District race. It's not fancy but it is functional and the box of blocks are easy to carry.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Speedster wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:16 pm We have 100 wood blocks measuring 3/4"x1 1/2"x6".

I’m guessing this just high end centers the cars? What piece of lumber did you choose for this? I am thinking a 2x6 with 3/4” rips would work?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

mclewis_13 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm
Speedster wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:16 pmWe have 100 wood blocks measuring 3/4"x1 1/2"x6".
I’m guessing this just high end centers the cars? What piece of lumber did you choose for this? I am thinking a 2x6 with 3/4” rips would work?
I assumed that it was nominal 1x2 lumber like what I used. Ripping 3/4" slabs of 2x6 lumber could work, although the grain direction would make them more fragile.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I apologize for the misunderstanding and it is all my fault.
I wanted the blocks to measure 1 1/2" wide so hopefully it would be easy for the young scouts to set their cars on the block. I started with a 1" x 6" x 8' board
and cut pieces 1 1/2" wide. After checking the Internet I learned a 1" x 6" board (nominal size) measures 3/4" x 5 1/2" (actual size).

Please be patient with me. These blocks were cut over 30 years ago. Today I learned a 1" x 2" board (nominal size) measures 3/4" x 1 1/2" (actual size).
Live and learn.

Darin is correct about the grain. Thanks to Darin for using the word (nominal). I didn't know that.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

Here are a couple I have built through the years, I continue to use the second one to this day:

Race Display Stand
Bulk car transport

I am not a big fan of using 1 X 2s on the table as they still seem kind of sketchy if the table is bumped. I used the second one for years at scout derbies without incident. At this point it is kind of beat up, and full of graphite (have I told you how much I hate graphite?). I clean it yearly with Pledge wipes to remove the excess graphite.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I can't get pictures.
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ah8tk »

The photos are hosted on Google, is anyone else having trouble viewing?

try this, here is a direct link to one of the photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T_Acx ... eBfaCYfSDj
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You. Perfect picture. Nice set up.