Fall TMC Big Rig Challenge

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Fall TMC Big Rig Challenge

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi Derby Talker's !

It has been awhile since iv'e last posted anything here on DT ..
I've had a long go with some very bad luck with losing 3 of my parents.. all in under 6 months.

With that said the Wife and I thought it was time to get out and do something fun for a change.

So on Nov the 13th We attended are first TMC Big Rig Challenge at the TMC fall technology workshop in Oklahoma City.
For those of you wounding what TMC stands for.. Technical Maintenance Council.

Link to there Big Rig challenge rules:
https://chambermaster.blob.core.windows ... dRules.pdf

There track is a 50 ft wooden track with no center rail .. the starting height is 30" off the floor, at the end of the track a pillow is used for stopping these 4 pound rigs.

This was there big'est turn out ever.. with 16 Big Rigs in the running per the guy in charge of the TMC race.
The racers had to draw numbers for there race positions... as luck had it my wife was 1st spot, I took 3rd spot with Bobcat, and 7th spot with Hot Rod Hauler.
As you can see in the pic's all types of weighting ideas and wheel combos were tried to make the rigs reach the finish line:

The Rigs the wife & I took to race:
Some of you here may recall the truck I raced at MA .. In Memory of my Mom.
With a little more work and some creative changes to the truck i was able to turn it into a Hot Rod Hauler.
The Wife wanted to do some work to her truck she raced for the very first MA Big Rig Race..
so we took two vintage 1956 pwd axles and made rearview mirrors out of them, along with some Popsicle sticks for running boards..
And a silver Sharpie pen to paint in the wheel spokes .

My Bobcat lowboy Rig .. well i made a crate box to hide a little more weight inside.. and with some small yellow ribbon I made some ratchet straps .

In the end wouldn't you know it ..The wife took 2nd place with her rig!
I took 3rd place and Best of Show with the Bobcat Rig.
Hot Rod hauler.. did not do as well as I hoped on this track.. [junk] camber on the FDW and the track wood grain did not go hand in hand!
All in all the Wife and I had a grate time.

pic's of the truck's running the track:

Some of the rigs never made it to the finsh line and some did.. the lighter weight trucks around 2 to 3 pounds were faster to the finish line.
Here is a pic showing just how close the race was.. keep in mind that two of the rigs have hit the stopping pillow and rolled back some in the image.

The Big Woody truck seen in the photo was the winner of this Big Rig Challenge and fastest truck to the finish line on the 50ft track.

Anyhow this is another form of pinewood Big Rig racing for all of you who enjoy making & racing the Big Rigs.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Fall TMC Big Rig Challenge

Post by ah8tk »

This is super cool, I have built a couple of Big Rigs for the CVSN Pinewood Challenge. It’s amazing they haven’t found a better way to stop these behemoths. Having something for them to crash into doesn’t seem smart.

Your trucks were definitely the best looking, some of the others were stacks of 2x4s.

Andy
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thinks Andy,

It was lots of fun.. having never raced on a track with out a center rail so it was a hole different experience.
Yeah every one though are truck's were cool looking but they really liked the looks of the Bobcat rig with the lowboy and all the work i put in to it.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. My condolences. And, very nice post on the Big Rig Derby! Happy New Year!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank's Kenny!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Here is an additional link to some video footage of the race.. By the Truck Boss Show.
https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-new ... challenge/
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:21 pm Here is an additional link to some video footage of the race.. By the Truck Boss Show.
https://www.thetrucker.com/trucking-new ... challenge/
Pretty cool. Congrats Mark!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank's Randy!

I tried to find this video footage by the Truck Boss Show some time back after the race with no luck at all.

I just ran across there video tonight and recalled the topic I started here about the TMC Big Rig Challenge
and thought id link it to the topic.

The wife and I enjoyed the TMC Big Rig Challenge.. It was fun!
What i enjoyed most was seeing all the cool and creative rigs the kids made and the weighting ideas
that were used to get the rigs up to the 4 pound weight limit.