Looking for Track Rental in southern California

Here's a place for members to buy, sell, trade or list wanted supplies, tools, etc.. This is not a forum for commercial merchants to advertise in.
lbarrettanderson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looking for Track Rental in southern California

Post by lbarrettanderson »

I'm trying to find someone who rents out a track in southern California (Orange County) for a corporate event this fall.

Event will be on a weekday.

I'd prefer a BestTrack or similar but could be open to others as well.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Looking for Track Rental in southern California

Post by Eagle »

There should be lots in southern California. Whether they rent or not is another whole matter.
lbarrettanderson
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's the thing... I can easily find one from a local scout den/LDS church, but it being a corporate event they insist on paying someone--insurance would be included in the price in case we damage it or something
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I've helped with lots of corporate races over the years, but unfortunately, my track and I are in Colorado. If you'd like some tips on putting on the race, send me a PM.

Personally, I don't like the idea of renting or lending out a track. Someone should always go with the track setup to make sure that it doesn't get damaged and nothing goes missing. When my sons were in Cub Scouts, their pack would go around and run races for other packs and churches and charge a bit for the service. We'd do the setup, help run their race, and then tear down. Maybe there is a pack, Awana club, etc. in your area that provides that type of service.

One other idea, but it depends on the budget. I have seen corporate races where they would buy a new track setup to run their race with. Then afterwards, donate the setup to a needy group (Cub Scout Pack, Girl Scout Troop, Awana club, YMCA, or so on.). I'm sure, they get a tax write off for doing so and some deserving group gets a nice new setup to use.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
lbarrettanderson
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I say "rent" I do mean that the owner would also come along, set up, stay, and take it down. Sorry if that caused confusion.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

lbarrettanderson wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:54 pm When I say "rent" I do mean that the owner would also come along, set up, stay, and take it down. Sorry if that caused confusion.
No problem. Certainly, that is the better scenario for the track owner to make sure that it gets setup/tore down properly, doesn't get damaged and everything gets accounted for. Hopefully, you can get things worked out.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

You can try reaching out to this link for a pinewood derby track rental with help .
( not sure of the track types they may have to offer however.)
https://www.pwdtrackrental.com/contact-info

Then there is S&W Crafts MFG out of Pasadena CA. that rent out tracks only!
http://www.pinewoodderbycars.com/Pinewo ... -2000t.htm

Good luck.. hope the track rental info for your area is somewhat helpful.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

lbarrettanderson wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:54 pmWhen I say "rent" I do mean that the owner would also come along, set up, stay, and take it down.
We once participated in a BSA unit that did not have its own track, because it hired a fellow who did just what you describe, for decades, as a small business (presumably a "side-hustle" and not his full-time job). He charged a flat fee to cover his transportation cost and setup time, plus a small fee per participant. He brought his own little PA system and car storage / display trays ("parking lot"), and managed the races and scoring. His prices were reasonable (I think they had to be, or no Pack would have been able to use his services!). The expense was built into the Pack's annual budget for Pinewood Derby.

So these services-for-hire certainly exist for the purposes of supporting Scouting units; the issue is how to identify such a service in your area. Therefore, I might suggest that you contact your local BSA Council and see if anyone there can refer such a service. In my experience, "Derby Season" for Scouting is usually the spring; autumn would be the "off-season" for that type of service, so availability and/or pricing may be better.