Military Humvee light desert sand camo paint

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Military Humvee light desert sand camo paint

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi all its been awhile..
Had are pinewood derby work shop back on Jan the 19th..
My Adopted Son Charlie chose to build a Military Humvee this year for his 2nd year in Cub Scouting that he wants to show off to you all.
Race is set for Feb 27th.

I'm proud of him and all the hard work that he has put in to his build so far.. as we are still in the building stages. ( wheels and axles prep to go.)

So while at the work shop he shows me a photo on my I phone.. of what he wants to build for his 3rd Pinewood Derby car build.

lucky I just happened to have a pattern from Derby Monkey Garage of a Humvee.
So with working with him he wanted to make a few changes to the Humvee design..
He wanted a gunner sticking out of the top, and a brush grill guard on front, air intake snorkel, jerry cans on back with 2 CB communication antennas.

But Then he tells me what he wants to do for the paint job.. light desert sand camo as if the Humvee had been out in the sand.. (Oh 'boy!)
I told him while at the work shop that we could cut out the block and drill the weight holes. and that the rest we could work on together and finish up at home.
Because of the rest of the kids who needed my help with the scroll saw for cutting out there cars!

The paints we picked out together for his build.. Rust-Oleum 2x satin silk and clear matte.. rattle can paints.
Apple barrel black and white.. brush paints. Model paints.. leather, burnt sienna, and rust.
It was quite the job helping him with getting the camo paint the way he wanted it to look.
But lucky I remembered a painting topic .. where Coffin nails racing did a splatter paint job by holding the can way back and letting the paint dust on.

I had him use a fine point black sharpie to mark out the door out lines a hood vents he was also wanting for some added details.
And some black electrical tape for the window details.
For his Gunner.. I had him pick out a green Army man from some I had in a box and played with when was his age.. ( he thought that was really cool !)
So we drilled a hole in the top of the Humvee.. and cut the Army man in half for this detail.

He hope's you all like the work he has done so far on his build.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Military Humvee light desert sand camo paint

Post by Loud2ns »

That's awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Super Cool!
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Great job!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:30 pmI had him use a fine point black sharpie to mark out the door...
That is very impressive drawing skills. One of my kids drew doors on a derby car with a Sharpie and it didn't turn out nearly as neat... it is harder than it looks (and you can't just erase it if you mess up).
whodathunkit wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:30 pmFor his Gunner... a green Army man ... (he thought that was really cool!)
That's because it is :cool:! Growing up we also played with army men - a lot. I hadn't thought about it before, but their scale (size) seems to be well matched to derby cars.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Charile want's to thank you guy's for the nice complements.

FatSebastian wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:54 pm
whodathunkit wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:30 pmI had him use a fine point black sharpie to mark out the door...
That is very impressive drawing skills. One of my kids drew doors on a derby car with a Sharpie and it didn't turn out nearly as neat... it is harder than it looks (and you can't just erase it if you mess up).
Well FS, I did have to help him out a little bit with these details by marking them out for him with a pencil and then let him trace over the pencil mark with the sharpie.

Well his work tonight was good.. we managed to get the axles and wheels prepped and ready for graphite.. and the axle slots on the side of body rubbed in with graphite.
We started off tonight with the wheels for run out .. (Sorry FS!) but the Donald Knott wheel runout gauge was set up and ready to go.
Three of the 4 wheels were only 2000's out of round.. the worst was around 4000's off.
I made up a wheel polishing kit.. of some Q-tips and Tamiya swabs and Fuzzy pipe cleaners for him to work out off..
( The cotton stings we scavenged the ear string loops off some unused face mask's that were very handy for buffing the axles with.)
For the wheel and axle polish I let him pick out his poison.. ( secret ingredient of choice.)
For the axles he wanted me to remove the burs and sand the axles.. so he could just polish them on the new 8" dill press we picked up at Harbor Fright for him to try out .
He enjoyed getting to find the best wheel and axle combos..
And he had even came up with a very clever way to keep his combos lined out to keep track of what was what before putting them away for the night.
Paper tag's pushed down over the axles.. (For his wheel and axle pairs.)
:scratching: ( why haven't I thought of this it has to be where iv went wrong of keeping track of what was what for wheel and axle pairs all these years!)
I had him put all his components in an old plastic Velveeta cheese box to cover them up for the night .

Tomorrow's job wheel and axle lube and assembly.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Charlie's back at it where we left off with wheel and axle pairs.
I thought id make him a handy wheel and axle caddy out of wood and mark the pairs out to help him keep track of them.
Most of the time you would mark them right rear, left rear, right front, left front.. to make it easy we went with backs 1&2, good for the FDW. and ww for his worst pair, or lifted wheel.
Starting off tonight..
I had him clean the axles with some 91% isopropyl alcohol and then dry them off with a paper towel.. along with a little lemon pledge spray treatment and let dry.
Next we moved to the wheel bores burnishing in graphite with a little bit of lemon pledge spayed on some 87106 Tamiya spear tip swabs.
( for the outer hubs 87107 Tamiya swabs larger in size.)
Link: showing the sizes of the Tamiya swabs and types.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishin ... on-swab-6/
Then I showed him a handy little trick using a thick piece of polyethylene foam to put graphite on the inner hub and rim at the same time.
Put some graphite down on the foam just enough to cover the size of the wheel.. place the wheel inner side hub down push down and twist back and forth.
Charlie will show you it works.
Before..Image
After..Image
After that he wanted to rest his hands from the pushing down and twisting and have me load the wheel bores with graphite for the wheel spin test..
a small model paint brush helps lift and place the graphite in the bore and under the axle head.
Per his counting most were up to 50 sec spin times.
Time to install the wheels and axles and set the gap's
Testing his Humvee..
The smile say's it all..
It was fun working together on building his 3rd pinewood derby car his Military Humvee with light desert sand camo paint.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

CONGRATULATIONS to you two. That vehicle is Gorgeous. Thank you for the photos and explanation of the build. It was a Joy reading all about it.
I Wish you both the very Best ,

Speedster
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thank You Speedster.
Good to see you chime in after a good long while.. Hope your felling better.
Charlie wanted to let you to know he is going for speed and for looks this year!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Race was today.. Charlie's hard work paid off.. he came home with a first place win.
Proud of all his hard work he put into making his Military Humvee his average time on a 35 ft best track 3.205 fastest run 3.112

OH" my one day fuel truck build .. well it was just for fun and the kids really liked it.. it ran an avg of 3.407 fastest run 3.363
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Congrats to Charlie and his pit crew!
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Randy!