Scroll Saw Recommendations for 2023?

How to have useful construction workshops.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Scroll Saw Recommendations for 2023 - Follow Up

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:17 am So I went with the WEN LL2156. Physically it is one yard in length, but it is not nearly as difficult to transport as I imagined it would be - there are lots of places to grab hold and the weight is spread out. I've only lightly tested its operation thus far because I have not finished mounting it securely; yet it appears to have good alignment and smooth operation (not too much vibration) - way better than our former 16" Craftsman.

The finish of its steel table leaves something to be desired though: it has a durable coating (metallic enamel paint?) but there are raised debris specks embedded in it, large enough that you can catch on them with a fingernail running across the tabletop. Probably doesn't matter for Pinewood Derby purposes but I'd otherwise worry about these imperfections possibly scratching softer materials. Also the table has what looks (and feels) like a residual weld seam in the original metal stock that the table was made from, that didn't quite polish out when they machined it. This recess doesn't actually interfere with material movement - it is just obvious and ugly.

I appreciate the feedback and especially the suggestion of the WEN LL2156 by Whodathunkit!
FS,
The Wen ll2156 came in today..

The finish on the table was ok no large paint bumps.
However in the above you point out a that your table has what looks like a weld seam in your table.

Hears an image of a notch that is seen on the right hand edge of my new table top.
( To Me this is a cut defect from the CNC plasma cutter or water jet cutter that cut out the table top.. Start/stop cut line.

However as kid in my Granddads wood shop I can recall a time where he took a metal file to put a small notch in the side his scroll saw table.
Back then I could not understand why he would do this to his scroll saw table..
As I recall he had very large hands and fingers and also a hard time trying to roll the smaller blades in his fingers.
He used the notch he filed in the table top to help him spin the smaller size cutting blades when he needed to change the blades out to a thin cutting blade.

Large and small cutting blades:

Okay in the images I'm doing this one handed.. while holding my I phone to take photos however.
But what he would do when he picked up a thin cutting blade and the cutting teeth were facing the wrong way..
With one hand on bottom and one on top of the blade he would drag it across the notch he cut in the table and let it spin the blade in his fingers.
So that the cutting teeth on the blade were facing him.. So he could install it the saw with the teeth facing forward!)
Blade facing wrong way:
Drag it across the notch:
let it spin in his fingers to face in ward to his bottom hand palm :

Funny!
How Wen's moto is.. Thanks For Remembering Wen!
And then how these little things in life like this notch in my new scroll saw table top..
had me recall the time where my Granddad used a file and put a notch in his scroll saw table to use to his advantage.

You also asked me what I liked about some of the features this saw had that I liked..
At the time I told you about the lock on the lift arm and it being a 21 inch model and that it was priced right for the money.

Well here a some features I really like now that I have the Wen saw.
The lower blade chuck in the Wen model.. has a holder that blade sets into that will not let the blade set lower in the chuck. ( with dust collection doors I can see why its this way)
Image of the lower blade chuck.
Here is the lower blade chuck on my DeWalt 788 with the Pegus chuck up grade.. the blades can fall out the bottom while trying to clamp them
Next I like how the wen model has bearing in the table trunnion's to help tilt and support the table top.
The table top on the wen model is stronger then the.. DeWalt 788 model that does not these bearing in the trunnion so its table has flex an movement!
And yes.. even the lock feature it has for the lifting arm. That you don't have to lock every time you lift the arm.. But it's there if you need it for the arm to stay up!
un locked:
Locked:
plus having the blade tension lever up front and variable speed.
And then yes even this one.. that the DeWalt 788 does not have.. the pull out child safety lock for the power switch:
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:20 pmTo Me this is a cut defect from the CNC plasma cutter or water jet cutter that cut out the table top.. Start/stop cut line.
Yeah, on closer inspection my table also has that defect in the same location. Since it is on the side of the table I did not notice it...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Scroll Saw Recommendations for 2023?

Post by whodathunkit »

Well FS,
I do hope that little defect can be of use for spinning blades like it was for my Grandad.
So far I'm really liking the wen saw as I have set it up and done a few test cuts.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:23 am I have the Harbor Freight scroll saw which seems like, 95% of the same thing as the Wen model. Overall it's worked pretty well. Gets the job done and gave me a lot of decent cuts. I lost the adapters that let you use plain-end blades, but the blades I wanted were always available with pin-end, so that was fine.

I will say that the little plastic plate that covers the hole around blade is a little janky and never really sits flush with the rest of the cutting platform. Not a HUGE issue, but it comes into play when cutting smaller pieces.
(VK, if your still looking about on the topic Ran across these link's for you!)

https://youtu.be/jx60VYTmIfI

https://youtu.be/jy3YK_eHtbk
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Well FS,
Not sure what's going on with the Tacklife work stand I ordered.. ( all but have given up and got a refund!)
and will taking this route for a stand for Wen scroll saw.
https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D3640- ... 5058&psc=1
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:17 amSo the "scroll saw stand" I ended up with was purchased locally from Harbor Freight: the Braun Portable Clamping Workstation SKU #58123 (also sold under the brand name "Franklin" with SKU #64827).
These pics show the WEN scroll saw permanently mounted to a board which is then clamped to the stand. A "filler" platform of scrap wood and rubber strips attempt to level out the area underneath the board to help dampen vibrations. The set-up is very stable, doesn't vibrate too terribly when clamped, and is reasonably portable with the saw detached and the stand folded.

exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

FatSebastian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:51 pmthe Braun Portable Clamping Workstation SKU #58123 (also sold under the brand name "Franklin" with SKU #64827)
That's an interesting stand, but it looks like HF may be dropping it entirely as it appears to only be available to what is left in stock in stores as a clearance item... But, it's still available from several other stores that are rebranding it on the Internet...

I have personally used these other cheap clamping stands (HF 47844) for tool stands in the past, they are actually quite stable for how cheap they are, I generally screwed or bolted the tool directly to the wood top or screwed another board down and totally ignore the clamping feature...

Again nothing to brag about, they are cheap both in price and build but for light tools like a jigsaw they will do the job as a temporary stand...

I actually had a vintage cast iron DeWalt radial arm saw on a slightly bigger 'heavy duty' version of a clamping stand like that for a few years, it never failed, but that version was substantially bigger and slightly better built, but was still some import no name stand...
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

exoray wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:50 amI have personally used these other cheap clamping stands (HF 47844) for tool stands in the past, they are actually quite stable for how cheap they are...
It appears the HF 47844 stand is also being discontinued (which seems similar to the Black & Decker Workmate 125).

FWIW, the footprint of the WEN LL2156 may be too large for either platform. But... one might fabricate a larger table top that clamps on, which I've done with the Workmate tables. Or maybe better, make a table supported across two of them to support a larger scroll saw...
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

FatSebastian wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:51 amFWIW, the footprint of the WEN LL2156 may be too large for either platform. But... one might fabricate a larger table top that clamps on, which I've done with the Workmate tables. Or maybe better, make a table supported across two of them to support a larger scroll saw...
When I put my radial arm saw on the bigger version of that stand, I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood and carriage bolted it down to the table top after I opened it up to up to max size, then bolted the radial arm saw to that...

I really need to get a stand for my scroll saw, right now I just plop it on a table/bench/saw horses or on the floor and use it as it doesn't get much use beyond derby cars and my dreams and intentions to set up a proper wood shop keeps getting pushed back...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Nice job on your scroll saw sand FS!
I might have to give my old .. Rockwell Jawhorse a go as well as a stand for my smaller delta scroll saw to set on.

Hope the WEN scroll saw is working out well for you !
I'm enjoying mine as I have done several projects with it so far.

Plus:
I have went back in on the scroll saw topic I started. https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=8346
And I have added a few things on blade manufactures and where to find there saw blades, to blade storage ideas.