Mulling a track build...

DIY tracks.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Mulling a track build...

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:34 am
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:15 ammimicking the Best Track curve seems like it would require cutting the aluminum track section..?
Why? I'd imagine the Best Track approach would involve something like mild brake bending in the desired location...
You may be right. I was thinking more in terms of how Best Track does it, with a short permanent curve section and then flat sections that attach to it. Looking at the plans, tough, it seems like there's a single section with a curve at one end.
In Jobe's schematic, it may not be necessary for Freedom-like bending to be totally permanent, if a curve can be induced by pulling the framework under tension into the desired shape using truss work or something like an adjustable turnbuckle. An outstanding question is how the metal plating responds to mild bending (does it "bounce back" when disassembled?), something you won't know for sure until you have it in hand...
This is true. I guess I have it in my mind that it needs to be permanently curved, but I won't know till it arrives.

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:15 amThis sounds like it would give me a permanent Microwizard sized curve section which seems like the worst of both worlds? At least as far as storage or transport goes?
Regardless of whether you have a track section that is permanently curved, or the size of it, a stowed 4-lane track will have a footprint of about 8 x 1.5 feet at minimum. This would be true even for a commercial track. The curvature affects how tall the case needs to be (and possibly whether there'd be two cases, as recommended by Best Track). Yes, a taller case will be heavier, which affects portability, but a stowed derby track is going to take up a fair amount of real estate anyway...
I plan to build a heavy duty shelf in my garage to store the lanes while I'm making time to work on the track and later the track itself. It would be nice if the whole thing laid flat.

I think I need to track down someone who's used this stuff before. Surely there's a few old timers around this board who must have...
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pmI plan to build a heavy duty shelf in my garage to store the lanes while I'm making time to work on the track and later the track itself. It would be nice if the whole thing laid flat.
Nice, indeed.

It would likely require the heft of several people to safely shelve a 4-lane 42' foot track in its case; the total weight could approach or exceed 200 lbs depending on what you end up with. FWIW, we built a long workbench / table in the garage that was about two feet deep, and was able to stow a track case neatly underneath that on the floor, thereby using the space above the track case as a work area.
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pmI think I need to track down someone...
Pun intended? ;)

Yeah, this probably falls within the earlier caveat about "often-under-estimated investments" of homemade tracks... :goodluck:
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:50 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pmI plan to build a heavy duty shelf in my garage to store the lanes while I'm making time to work on the track and later the track itself. It would be nice if the whole thing laid flat.
Nice, indeed.

It would likely require the heft of several people to safely shelve a 4-lane 42' foot track in its case; the total weight could approach or exceed 200 lbs depending on what you end up with. FWIW, we built a long workbench / table in the garage that was about two feet deep, and was able to stow a track case neatly underneath that on the floor, thereby using the space above the track case as a work area.
FWIW, the shipping weight for the track segments is 83 pounds. Not sure how much weight the wood will add, but hopefully I can build a sturdy enough shelf.
FatSebastian wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:50 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pmI think I need to track down someone...
Pun intended? ;)

Yeah, this probably falls within the earlier caveat about "often-under-estimated investments" of homemade tracks... :goodluck:
Well, I mean...it's fun, so there's that...

Supposedly arrives tomorrow, so I'll take pics of what arrives.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:01 amNot sure how much weight the wood will add, but hopefully I can build a sturdy enough shelf.
If you use birch 5/8 plywood as a backer about 55lbs a sheet, probably going to need at least 2 sheets as a bare minimum to back the track and seam it properly plus whatever supports...

Thus I would guess wood for backing the track and stands/support will probably add 150lbs?

You could always use thinner wood, but you will then need to consider the twisties and less attachment 'meat'...

Also, I don't know if it needs to be said but seal every side of any wood you use and seal it good, especially if it's going to be stored in a non-climate-controlled area like a garage...
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

exoray wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:45 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:01 amNot sure how much weight the wood will add, but hopefully I can build a sturdy enough shelf.
If you use birch 5/8 plywood as a backer about 55lbs a sheet, probably going to need at least 2 sheets as a bare minimum to back the track and seam it properly plus whatever supports...

Thus I would guess wood for backing the track and stands/support will probably add 150lbs?

You could always use thinner wood, but you will then need to consider the twisties and less attachment 'meat'...

Also, I don't know if it needs to be said but seal every side of any wood you use and seal it good, especially if it's going to be stored in a non-climate-controlled area like a garage...
FWIW, the "Challenger" track design uses a sort of ladder frame that the track lanes fit into (so a lot less wood). The only section where I am considering modifying with a flat underlayer might be the first one, in my attempt to get a Microwizard-type curve.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

exoray wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:45 pm...will probably add 150lbs? You could always use thinner wood, but you will then need to consider the twisties and less attachment 'meat'...
I suspect that it need not be that heavy. The factory Piantedosi tracks used plywood that was ~3/8" thick. The Challenger plans employ a ladder-shaped lattice truss for support, which uses relatively little wood.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

FatSebastian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 pmThe factory Piantedosi tracks used plywood that was ~3/8" thick. The Challenger plans employ a ladder-shaped lattice truss for support, which uses relatively little wood.
A ladder frame of some type would be ideal if done right, as for the wood trak... I have an S&W Crafts track that I store for a group. it's made from 1/2" ply and I can't say I'm all that impressed with how rigid it is... Now that could be due to the differing plywood types used but when I was tossing around my own design I figured 5/8" would be more ideal even at the cost of excess weight... Then again if you laminating an aluminum surface to it that might change things quite a bit as well... Also I was planning on making mine 'lifted' and that obviously requires a lot more rigidity so you don't get waves down the flat section...
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

exoray wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:44 pmI have an S&W Crafts track that I store for a group. it's made from 1/2" ply and I can't say I'm all that impressed with how rigid it is...
That is the plywood track that employs channels (side barriers) for each lane, rather than a central guide rail, correct? :thinking: I could image the ~1-1/2"-wide central rails of a conventional derby track adding some rigidity to the plywood that the S&W Crafts Track Kit lacks. Next time you get out that track, could you weigh it and post the results over on this thread as another point of reference?

VK - looking forward to those "pics of what arrives"... :eager:
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:33 pm VK - looking forward to those "pics of what arrives"... :eager:
Good news! My track plating arrived!

Bad news, it happened in the middle of the workday, so I haven't been able to take any pictures yet.

Couple of things to report on, though:

- The aluminum is nicely flexible, and I don't think I will have any trouble curving it to a "Microwizard-style" curve on demand.

- The quality seems quite good, though there's some rough edges near the ends of the pieces, so will need to polish those up before use.

- It came with some extra instructions. I've scanned these in, for anyone they might be useful for: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iuOSoM ... sp=sharing

- I've been [s]bothering[/s] corresponding with MrSlick, who has had experience with these track pieces. He thinks I shouldn't have any problem with my curve plans, so that's encouraging, too.

- Probably going to make a new thread to post my track building adventure. It will...probably be a long while before this thing is finished. :mrgreen:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 pmWelp, went ahead and ordered some. Now I guess I'm committed.
Looks like the inventory is now depleted. I wonder if this thread contributed to its rapid sell off... :thinking: Hopefully you got a sufficient quantity!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote:
Vitamin K wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 pmWelp, went ahead and ordered some. Now I guess I'm committed.
Looks like the inventory is now depleted. I wonder if this thread contributed to its rapid sell off... :thinking: Hopefully you got a sufficient quantity!
I certainly would not have found it had you not pointed it out!

At any rate, I have 24 sections which is enough for 6x93" of 4 lane track. At least, I should have 24 sections. I need to do a full unpacking and inventory soon...

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Moving further stuff to this thread: https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=8955
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:20 pmLooks like the inventory is now depleted.
Not so fast! Another 20 sets have been listed (3 of which sold almost immediately).
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FatSebastian wrote:
FatSebastian wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:20 pmLooks like the inventory is now depleted.
Not so fast! Another 20 sets have been listed (3 of which sold almost immediately).
Well, seeing as how they had another set they could send me to replace the damaged ones, they must have had a few more at least. :mrgreen:

Sent from my moto g(9) play using Tapatalk