Getting an Awana Club to start doing Grand Prix

General race coordinator discussions.
rwodonnell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Getting an Awana Club to start doing Grand Prix

Post by rwodonnell »

Our club does a grand prix, and it's great! A friend's kids go to a different club that does not have a race. I am not sure of all the reasons, they also do not do an Awana store or particpate in the Awana Games. My friend thinks the volunteers are very dedicated though, so perhaps they would do one of these.

How could he get it started? They don't have a track to my knowledge, nor a timer. If he ended up volunteering to organize it, how would he get the car kits and awards? I guess there are other materials too that are maybe less important or that I am just not thinking of - what would they be?
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Getting an Awana Club to start doing Grand Prix

Post by Mike Parrish »

rwodonnell wrote:...how would he get the car kits and awards? I guess there are other materials too that are maybe less important or that I am just not thinking of - what would they be?
If you go to http://www.awana.org, you can order all the items needed for the grand prix and many other materials for awana. The church will need to be registered with them and have a charter number.

Good luck!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
rwodonnell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwodonnell »

Mike Parrish wrote: If you go to http://www.awana.org, you can order all the items needed for the grand prix and many other materials for awana. The church will need to be registered with them and have a charter number.

Good luck!
Thanks! I looked around the web site there ealier, but as a "normal parent" I don't see as much maybe as someone who has a username or something might be able to do.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rwodonnell wrote:Thanks! I looked around the web site there ealier, but as a "normal parent" I don't see as much maybe as someone who has a username or something might be able to do.
You are seeing all of it except a couple of pieces of race software that will be showing up there soon :wink: This is the best place to get the car kits and inexpensive trophies.

http://www.awana.org/mgo/AwanaSubCatego ... :040000050

The first stop that I recommend for a new race coordinator is at GrandPrix Race Central. There is lots of info, files to download an more. This site, of course, would be the next stop. Then there are lots of other sites on the Pinewood Derby Racing Webring that are good resources.

If a club doesn't have a track/timer/software setup, they can check with their Awana Missionary to see if there is one that they can borrow or rent from another club. There are also many Cub Scout packs that will also rent out their setup.

Costs can be covered all or in part by selling the kits. We normally charged $5 for the kits. You can also sell consessions to earn extra money. You can try to get some prizes (for certificate awards, Best of Show, etc.) donated by local businesses.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

One other thing. During our regional Awana Conference at the beginning of the year there is an Awana Grand Prix workshop. These can be good for new race coordinators. I assume that other Awana Conferences put these workshops on as well. If not, maybe they just need someone to volunteer to lead the workshop.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
rwodonnell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwodonnell »

gpraceman wrote:One other thing. During our regional Awana Conference at the beginning of the year there is an Awana Grand Prix workshop. These can be good for new race coordinators. I assume that other Awana Conferences put these workshops on as well. If not, maybe they just need someone to volunteer to lead the workshop.
Thanks for the link and the scoop on the workshop. I could not navigate to that page for ordering (still can't figure that out) but now I see that the whole thing could be done very affordably except for the track and timer (and our club didn't have a timer until this year, but it's definitely better with one!)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rwodonnell wrote:Thanks for the link and the scoop on the workshop. I could not navigate to that page for ordering (still can't figure that out) but now I see that the whole thing could be done very affordably except for the track and timer (and our club didn't have a timer until this year, but it's definitely better with one!)
For ordering from the Awana catalog, you would need to go through the person in your club that is authorized to order.
Randy Lisano