Thrust angle and other alignment issues

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Thrust angle and other alignment issues

Post by Stan Pope »

Alignment measurements and corrections are addressed in my online book at http://members.aol.com/standcmr/lbw_apl.html and licensed to Maximum Velocity in his booklet. As of the time that I wrote that, it was the only organized information on aligning PWD cars that was published. It may still be, but I have not surveyed the literature for several years. All the booklets said you needed to have the wheels/axles aligned, but none of them told how to do it or, even, how to know when/if any alignment was needed.

My online book is "honor system" and I ask a direct donation to my Boy Scout council's Friends of Scouting fund. Max V's booklet is fairly priced and full of good info.

I prefer to address the corrections using shims because this provides measured incremental adjustments for both alignment dimensions. Others use tooling that brings them close enough to dead-on that only minor "pushing on the axles" is needed to satisfy them.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"