Our 2007 Cars. On to District!

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Our 2007 Cars. On to District!

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

This is my 7 year olds (Wolf) car. Notice the wrecked paint job (my fault). Krylon over Krylon, crinkled all over the place. The blue is MetalSpeck. When the red was sprayed the solvent went through the paper and lifted the blue. I call it "Old Glory". I gave up painting at that point. Maybe I should have had the boys do it!! It tied and then broke last years track record (his brother).

This is my 9 year olds (Webelo 1) car. I refused to do any more painting after wrecking the finish on 3 other cars. We put sticker flames on it, which won't stick. Broke his last years track record every race!

Top view of my car "SpeedRail" in the Open Class. MetalSpeck paint. Some crinkles. Fastest time beat the previous track record (set by my then 8 year old last year) by 0.10 seconds! I'd send it to WIRL, but there isn't enough wood on the bottom to put their stamp on!

Angled view.

Transparent drawing. Carbide strips & tungsten balls for weight. Narrowed front not shown.

Construction pic. I then sanded the profile until I hit carbide.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Our 2007 Cars. On to District!

Post by pwdarchitect »

A 1/2"x1" piece of 1/64" thick Aircraft Birch Plywood would get you that "Bare wood" place for the WIRL stamp. Just wood glue it in place and send it off.

Jim
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

Or just send it to PWDRACING.COM ,they don't require the bare wood on the bottom. BTW Good Luck at Districts, keep us posted !!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

pwdarchitect wrote:A 1/2"x1" piece of 1/64" thick Aircraft Birch Plywood would get you that "Bare wood" place for the WIRL stamp. Just wood glue it in place and send it off.

Jim
Great idea!

How critical are they on the 3/8" dimension?? That number really in bogus! I'll have to check what the clearance is now.

I'm going to race it in another Pack's PWD on Wednesday, and maybe another in the near future. Should be plenty of time before April 21st.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Lucky13 wrote:Or just send it to PWDRACING.COM ,they don't require the bare wood on the bottom. BTW Good Luck at Districts, keep us posted !!
Thanks! Maybe it'll "make the rounds"!
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

3/8" clearance rule at WIRL is Critical! Last year they would not allow another racer to race eventhough you could get one of their rear wheels to roll by sliding a piece of paper between the the rear wheel and the go-nogo guage.

J
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

pwdarchitect wrote:3/8" clearance rule at WIRL is Critical! Last year they would not allow another racer to race eventhough you could get one of their rear wheels to roll by sliding a piece of paper between the the rear wheel and the go-nogo guage.
The gages we use to check the cars, including the District gages, are all 1/4" high. This spec was obsoleted years ago with 1/4" lane guides, but tracks with a quick transition may cause some cars to rub the front or rear if the clearance is less than 3/8". Someone needs to experiment and find the lowest possible dimension that will fit the tightest radius track.
DerbyDoDo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDoDo »

Hi Pinewood Daddy,

I love your SpeedRail derby car! I was just wondering how you got the side rails to be strong enough to hold the car together? Seems like it would break easy. Did you use pine on that car or use birch instead?

Thanks!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Pack26 wrote:Hi Pinewood Daddy,

I love your SpeedRail derby car! I was just wondering how you got the side rails to be strong enough to hold the car together? Seems like it would break easy. Did you use pine on that car or use birch instead?

Thanks!
The sides are made from 1/8" plywood from Michael's Crafts. It's plenty strong! The rest of the car is pine & carbide.
2FAST4U

Post by 2FAST4U »

very nice car and well built...
[Moderator cut - no discussions about racing leagues - the focus here is on the kids races.]
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

2FAST4U wrote:very nice car and well built...
Thanks!

I bought a car on eBay, made in the 60's, that I'm hoping to reproduce for next season. It's very different & very unlike the cars made in that era. I'll post some pics tonight if I remember. I also slightly redesign SpeedRail and may make a SpeedRail II.
DerbyDoDo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDoDo »

Thats a good idea. What is the material you used arounf the weights for the body in the back? Is that wood? Almost looks like foam.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Pack26 wrote:Thats a good idea. What is the material you used arounf the weights for the body in the back? Is that wood? Almost looks like foam.
2 part epoxy. Strong stuff!!
DerbyDoDo
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyDoDo »

I mean the three pieces that the weights are glued to that you sand. Thats what I said looked like foam parts from the coloring I see. Maybe its wood.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Pack26 wrote:I mean the three pieces that the weights are glued to that you sand. Thats what I said looked like foam parts from the coloring I see. Maybe its wood.
That's pine. Not much though.