"Bolt From The Blue" (update "Inferno")

Show off your cool vehicle designs and track burning speedsters!
Sssnake
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

"Bolt From The Blue" (update "Inferno")

Post by Sssnake »

Here's some pics of my new Wirl entry "Bolt From The Blue" and the ressurected "Flex Wedge".

Added "Inferno", the reworked hollow wedge.

Last edited by Sssnake on Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Re: "Bolt From The Blue"

Post by terryep »

Wow! Stand aside

Terry
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

very nice! what are you using to turn down the wheels? Are those PineCar single axle Wheels?
Last edited by PinewoodPerformance on Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

BooYah!
If they are half as fast as they are cool looking, WIRL will crown a new king (Cobra) in April.

Of course, ExtremePWD, Mike Parrish, Wooden Wonder, Cadillac, Ranman and me (did I forget anyone?) may have something to say about that too...

Good luck!
(PinewoodPerformance beat me to it -- but did those wheels start out as standard BSA issue?)
TDean
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

TDean wrote:Of course, ExtremePWD, Mike Parrish, Wooden Wonder, Cadillac, Ranman and me (did I forget anyone?) may have something to say about that too...

Good luck!
(PinewoodPerformance beat me to it -- but did those wheels start out as standard BSA issue?)
Yea... You forgot 2 PinewoodPerformance Cars... It is time to try these ugly lil guys out!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

That rascal is "startlingly fast" just sitting there! Wow!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Sssnake
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Sssnake »

The wheels are Pine Car racing wheel and axle sets . I turn them down using a flat needle file ground as a tool bit and a drill press. In my opinion the quality and design of the Pine Car wheels is far superior to BSA's. They lend themselves to being more creative with your design due to their thicker design and greater hub setback and they have raised hubs at both ends of the bore.
I tried a little of everything on this car:
reworked wheels
.58 oz. total hollow body, axles and wheel weight
massive concentration of weight (isolated with butyl rubber caulk)
straight axles
silicone
aerodynamics
coned body

It looks fast , I just hope it can perform. Thanks for your comments guys.
Sssnake
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

What are you using to hollow out the body, I have tried using a dremel tool and it wasn't that accurate ( I guess I wasnt that accurate with it...LOL... what a beautiful car!
Sssnake
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Sssnake »

I use a Dremel 1/8" router bit in a drill press and adjust the depth with two nuts on the depth gauge.
Sssnake

P.S. I've got one more car to finish for April. James' car the "Inferno" aka. the "Hollow Wedge". With the new name comes some more improvements, hope the work was an improvement. James' renamed it and says, " ... it'll burn up the track. Oh, yeah!", we'll see.
Last edited by Sssnake on Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

So you use the dremel attatchment? I bought one last week and found out it was for the dremel saw...had to rteturn it... I think I will habe to get another, I would have never thought to use one for the car ( Novice)
Sssnake
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Sssnake »

No, just the router bit chucked in the drill press. I control the depth with two nuts on the spindle depth gauge. You can use a cross slide vise to hold the car, or you can place car on a rubber mat on a rag on the drillpress table and just hold it and move it around. I use the vise when James is routing and I do it freehand with the pad and rag, much quicker.
Sssnake
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Lot's of good speed features in that fast looking car. It's great to see more entries in the race. Good luck with both of the cars. Here's to a good showing for all of the DerbyTalk guys in April at the WIRL.
Whistler
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Whistler »

Sweet looking cars. I recognised the pinecar wheelsets, but had one question about the "body coning". It looks like you have used a plastic insert (clear, white?) coned to the form at the axle insert locations. I know this would be prohibited in our races per the bearing/bushing rules. Does WHIRL have a similar rule, or are these allowed since they are static, as opposed to a sheet teflon bearing.

I'm also very impressed that you were able to isolate the weights with some kind of vibration absorption system given the thickness of your cars. I've had a lot of trouble just fitting my weights in much less extra depth for rubber.
Sssnake
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Sssnake »

Actually the original "cones" were turned of wood. After weighting and axles and everything weighed together on the scale, the car was under weight . So I removed the wood cones and substituted 1/16 oz. worm weight fishing sinkers. These were painted with the base coat silver, rubbed out and masked with the axles before the blue topcoat.
Sssnake
terrys son
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: "Bolt From The Blue" (update "Inferno&am

Post by terrys son »

i liike it :thumbup: