Did it again!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Chipper
Journeyman
Journeyman

Did it again!

Post by Chipper »

My son won his pack derby (4th year) again yesterday. He is a Webelos I and is his last year to go to the district race in April. We have a 42' BestTrack, 4 lane with Fastrack timer and GrandPrix Race Manager. The track is a little beat up in my opinion. I'm not sure how old it is. We are lucky to have it though. For scheduling we just did the normal schedule lane rotation. We had a total of 20 cars in the race. Son's car averaged 3.0573 seconds. Each year his time has improved (with help from Derby Talk), but we just couldn't seem to break the 3.0000 mark. O well, maybe next year. The Webelos II are alowed to race, they just cannot go on to district. I think everyone had a good time though. I am the Webelos I den leader and our den made the trophy/display stands from ah8tk's design (http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... ds&start=0" target="_blank). Thanks again Andy!

Anyway, some specs of son's car:
5.0 oz.
3/4" COG
tungzen cylinders
First year trying to make a railrider, used railrider tool. Big learning curve here, probably didn't get it tuned the best. The back end seemed to wobble too much.
Axles: polished to 2 micron, Mothers polish
Wheels: bore polished with Mircro Gloss, outer hub and outer wheel rim burnished with graphite
You can see picture of the car at http://www.picturetrail.com/chipper67" target="_blank
The other car was (red, black with white stripe was his sisters for the Parent/Sibling race and that car averag time was 3.1543 seconds.
Thanks again to Derby Talk for all the great advice. On to Districts!
ah8tk
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Did it again!

Post by ah8tk »

Congrats, those are some nice looking cars (and some really nice trophies). Good Job, and well done to all!

This is somewhat off topic but if the Webelo II races in a pack race they should have a spot in the district race for them, even though many have moved on to Boy Scouts. Sorry your district does not have this for the Webelo IIs.

Andy
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Chipper wrote:The Webelos II are alowed to race, they just cannot go on to district.
Booooo! Hisssssss!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

Our Districts does the same thing. It really sucks for the boys. Kind of a tease!
Chipper
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Chipper »

I agree. The Webelos II should be allowed to race at Districts. I am not sure why they cannot. There is an open class though so at least they could race again if they want to. It would just be against siblings, parents and other Webelos IIs.

Chipper
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Son's car averaged 3.0573 seconds. Each year his time has improved (with help from Derby Talk), but we just couldn't seem to break the 3.0000 mark
We have the same size track and set-up. This year 4 cars went under 3.0 sec. We simplified the rules, allowed oil, allowed narrowing and lightening the wheels. Best time was 2.9669, saw lots of 3.0 times.

Good job and good luck next year!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

rpcarpe wrote:allowed narrowing and lightening the wheels. Best time was 2.9669, saw lots of 3.0 times.
Were these allowances limited? What limits?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Sorry I didn't follow up on this Stan,
Rules on wheels - cannot expand the diameter of the wheel, cannot decrease the bore size.
We let the build teams do the research and then work the wheels as much as they'd like.
Same kind of rules for axles - must be BSA.

We don't allow aftermarket/3rd party parts or cars, but the build teams can do a whole bunch on their own.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Congrats Chipper,

Nice looking cars :thumbup:
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Aron
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Aron »

Congrats! Good looking cars!