One last time & the boys throw me a curve ball (More PICS.)

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Laserman
Merchant
Merchant

Re: One last time...and the boys throw me a curve ball

Post by Laserman »

davet wrote:Do the style type cars have to finish the race? If not, push the axles in so the wheels barely move. It will stop at bottom of ramp just make a point.
Lol! I like your style Davet.

The hot dog car looks awesome!

It is actually making me hungry.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

davet wrote:Do the style type cars have to finish the race? If not, push the axles in so the wheels barely move. It will stop at bottom of ramp just make a point.
Yeah, if we had a foolish rule like that and I couldn't get it changed, then that's what I'd advise anyone to do if they were interested in a design award.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Noskills wrote:Scott, I just did a google image search for Prada. They have a cool logo and a many designs with the name in the shape of a rectangle. Could do a real thin fast car with a Prada label decal.
Seth
Yep, we definitely intend to use either a Prada or a Chanel logo prominently in the design of the car. Not sure if we're going to try to actually make it look like a handbag. Daughter needs to weigh in on her preferred design approach before we open the box and start building.

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

I do not think they need to cross the finish line to be in the running for a Design award. However, I can't bear the thought, lol.

Scrollsawer
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Vitamin K wrote:
Scrollsawer wrote: The car only weighed 3.5 ounces, but was apparently so well tuned (we figured the lower weight would place it well into the back of the Pack). However, he ended up winning 2nd Place in the Webelos Rank for speed. He had originally won in the Design category for his Hot Dog design(which he was ultimately going for), but since he won a 'speed' category, the 'Design' award went to the Scout in 2nd Place for 'Design' (which definitely bummed my son out). :wall:
Your skills are just out of control, man. You touch a car, it wins. ;)

Not all the time! ;)
I see why our Pack does this (to spread the wealth, award-wise), but we learned our lesson as a racing team. This year, we will be putting ZERO weight in the boys cars to ensure they go s-l-o-w-l-y.
Some people wanted to do this for our Pack, but I was firmly opposed for it. I wonder if some of the judges might try to select non-winning cars regardless, but it won't be because it was mandated. Let cars win on their own merits, whatever those merits may be.

Also, something in me screams at the idea of building a purposefully slow car. I know...I know...I just...augh. :angel:
I'm right there with ya on this one. :wall:
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

davet wrote:Why even run the creative cars on the track? Just let the creative ones sit and the fast ones race. That isn't Pinewood Derby though. I don't think the Derby Founder would approve of making slow cars.

Totally agree. Although I think design has it's place in the Derby.

Our second year my boy saw a missile in one of his books and wanted that exact design for his car. He thought a missile would be fast and so did I. It wobbled like crazy when it hit the flat and was slow. He had high hopes for the car and they were stomped on. He was disappointed but it was a learning situation for him.

Our first yr was the tank which went to Districts. A timing glitch on 3 heats gave those 12 cars a full 1 second lower time which of course nobody else could overtake. I was keeping track of my boy's times and it's possible he would've been in at least the top 5 but of course the glitch messed that up. That was another learning situation for him. When the glitch occurred a couple of times during the next rank's racing, the organizers stopped and re-ran those heats.

Those cars you and your kids made are awesome. Great work?

Losing can help build character in the scout in ways that winning can't.
Well said. Totally agree.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Laserman wrote:
Lol! I like your style Davet.

The hot dog car looks awesome!

It is actually making me hungry.
Lol. We were pretty happy with it too. :mrgreen:
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

Darin McGrew wrote:
Yeah, if we had a foolish rule like that and I couldn't get it changed, then that's what I'd advise anyone to do if they were interested in a design award.
I get where you're coming from. I may volunteer to re-write the Derby rules for the Pack before I leave. I think I can write some clear, concise rules, that could be easily followed, and which mitigate cheating as much as reasonably possible.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Vitamin K wrote:Also, something in me screams at the idea of building a purposefully slow car. I know...I know...I just...augh. :angel:
What if the derby has a "best gas mileage" award (or some other award for the slowest car)? ;)

Of course, then someone will want to exclude the winners of the "slow car" awards from the design competition too. Then, those interested in the design awards will need to design their cars so they don't win either the speed awards or the "slow car" awards.

(Why yes, this is a pet peeve of mine. How nice of you to notice...)
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Maybe just add more awards. Our Pack has around 10 different categories.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Buy a tiny purse like your daughter wants and mount it on a flat car.
Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

davet wrote:Buy a tiny purse like your daughter wants and mount it on a flat car.
Ha! I took her to a Prada store once, just to look around. We laughed our way out the door after we saw the price tags.

We'll fabricate it, is she goes that route.

Scrollsawer
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Scrollsawer wrote:We'll fabricate it, is she goes that route.
Good answer! Good answer!
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Scrollsawer wrote:

The car only weighed 3.5 ounces, but was apparently so well tuned (we figured the lower weight would place it well into the back of the Pack). However, he ended up winning 2nd Place in the Webelos Rank for speed. He had originally won in the Design category for his Hot Dog design(which he was ultimately going for), but since he won a 'speed' category, the 'Design' award went to the Scout in 2nd Place for 'Design' (which definitely bummed my son out). :wall:

I see why our Pack does this (to spread the wealth, award-wise), but we learned our lesson as a racing team. This year, we will be putting ZERO weight in the boys cars to ensure they go s-l-o-w-l-y.

Scrollsawer
Also make sure all axles are drilled / bent so that they sloap down from the body. This will force the wheels into the side of the car. Also no graphite. Years of being a Webelos leader and building slow cars for filler cars :-)
W Racing!!!!
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

These are our rules if it helps in rewriting.
https://www.northernstarbsa.org/Forms/A ... yRules.pdf