Axle crimp marks

General topics of interest to racers and race coordinators alike.
BSAdadGriffindork
Journeyman
Journeyman

Axle crimp marks

Post by BSAdadGriffindork »

I’ve seen some people say it’s better to leave the crimp marks on the axle and to only polish them. Their reasoning being that it leaves the overall diameter larger compared to when filed down and also sorta replicates what happens with grooved axles.

Is this true? Or am I better off filing them down?

Thank you
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axle crimp marks

Post by whodathunkit »

With grooved axles.. the groove is all the way around the axle shaft.
With the 2 crimp marks on the shaft of the axle it’s not like a grooved axle.

Your are right that by leaving the crimp marks it keeps the shaft diameter larger them removing them.
So this also helps with how the axle fits the wheel bore.
Small diameter axles will have lots of slop in the bore
Causing wheels to wobble .

I think most try to use the crimps to the back side of the bores as the car is moving forward if that makes sense!
And use the smoother part of the axle to the bottom side of the bore . To keep the wheel more stable on the axle shaft.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
BSAdadGriffindork
Journeyman
Journeyman

whodathunkit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:09 pm With grooved axles.. the groove is all the way around the axle shaft.
With the 2 crimp marks on the shaft of the axle it’s not like a grooved axle.

Your are right that by leaving the crimp marks it keeps the shaft diameter larger them removing them.
So this also helps with how the axle fits the wheel bore.
Small diameter axles will have lots of slop in the bore
Causing wheels to wobble .

I think most try to use the crimps to the back side of the bores as the car is moving forward if that makes sense!
And use the smoother part of the axle to the bottom side of the bore . To keep the wheel more stable on the axle shaft.

So they’ll just align the smooth spots vertically and the marks horizontally instead of trying to find the “sweet spot” of each axle?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

The 2 crimp marks on the axle shaft will be vertical to the back side of the wheel bore. ( or to rear of car ) Straight up and down from a side view of a car. Some have said to run them this way.

And if I recall Stan Pope would say..
Just orient the axle so that the crimp marks are up top.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I used to file crimp marks off.

Now I just polish over them with the rest of the axle shaft.

I DO, however, make certain to remove the flashing. The flashing is much worse than the crimp marks.
BSAdadGriffindork
Journeyman
Journeyman

Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:37 pm I used to file crimp marks off.

I DO, however, make certain to remove the flashing. The flashing is much worse than the crimp marks.
Have a preferred method for the flashing? I had been using spinning drill press but evidently it’s better to just use the press as a holder and do the filing with the axle stationary?

Also, do you prefer to orientate the axle crimp marks in a certain way when inserting into the car?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

BSAdadGriffindork wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:54 pm
Vitamin K wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:37 pm I used to file crimp marks off.

Have a preferred method for the flashing? I had been using spinning drill press but evidently it’s better to just use the press as a holder and do the filing with the axle stationary?

Also, do you prefer to orientate the axle crimp marks in a certain way when inserting into the car?
I use a file while spinning the nail to remove the flashing. This also allows me to do a little shaping on the underside of the axle head (I like to cone it just a bit).

I think those who prefer to work it stationary do so because it's possible to remove too much material if you aren't careful while spinning.

I don't have a preferred orientation of the crimp marks...not that there isn't speed to possibly be gained there, I just never figured out what was best and we haven't had to use BSA axles in quite some time.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Like you BSAdadGriffindork,
My method for flashing removal is the same stationary with a file
Chucked up in a drill press.

Don’t forget the burrs on the axle tips!

And like VK’s method to give shape to the axle head spinning it a drill press.

However after I’ve removed the flashing ..
While the head of the axle is flat and chucked in the drill press.
I’ll use a Dremel cutting disk while spinning the axle in the drill press to cut a small groove in the shaft before coning the axle head back with a small triangle file.

Don’t know that it really matters or not!
But I fell that the grove help’s me from running the file up the axle shaft while it’s spinning .
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:47 am However after I’ve removed the flashing ..
While the head of the axle is flat and chucked in the drill press.
I’ll use a Dremel cutting disk while spinning the axle in the drill press to cut a small groove in the shaft before coning the axle head back with a small triangle file.

Don’t know that it really matters or not!
But I fell that the grove help’s me from running the file up the axle shaft while it’s spinning .
I've heard this referred to as the "firewall", but I think it's a good idea!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

VK ,
Have you got any good ideas for making a tool to hold
the axle.. for cutting a K House Groove in the axle head.

Or do you even use this method for adjusting axles?
I can’t count the axles I’ve missed up.
By forgetting to do this step first if I wish to run a car with the
K House Groove’s.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 am VK ,
Have you got any good ideas for making a tool to hold
the axle.. for cutting a K House Groove in the axle head.

Or do you even use this method for adjusting axles?
I can’t count the axles I’ve missed up.
By forgetting to do this step first if I wish to run a car with the
K House Groove’s.
I usually clamp the axle in a vise and cut the groove with the edge of a file. I haven't done it in a while though, it's just been the kids racing in scout-level stuff, and I don't want to give them any reason to get disqualified by persnickety officials. :)

Getting that first cut into the axle head is the hardest, and I can usually deepen the cut once I've got it.

Definitely worth putting that groove in the axle head first before you do any more work on it.
exoray
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by exoray »

I have always just buffed the highs off and left the grooves that remain vs narrowing down the axle that I personally believe is more detrimental in the end... I have pondered the idea of silver solder filling in the groves though when deep, but have not done it... Like all parts of the BSA kit if you acquire enough spare kits you can be more picky about the nails you actually end up using as they vary all over the place...

I really just wish BSA would step up their game and get better nails, as so many scouts and their parents don't do any dressing on the nails or wheels and it's obvious come race day...
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 amHave you got any good ideas for making a tool to hold the axle.. for cutting a K House Groove in the axle head?
The best method I know is to cut them on a bandsaw with a fine-tooth metal-cutting blade. Insert the axle into a block, place the block on the table, line up the axle head with the blade and make light contact. It may take a couple of practice nails to figure out the desired contact pressure for your set up, but it allows one to control cut a nearly perfect groove almost effortlessly IMO.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks FS, I really like that idea and method.. I've never heard of or even seen it done that way on a bandsaw!
( I'm going to have to change my ways and method some day! )

I just use a large hand twist drill to hold the axle and use a Dremel with cutting disk to cut in a groove in the axle head.

Large hand twist drill seen in image:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Wrench- ... B08M3GRNLR

Or a large handle pen vise that can be found in most hardware stores:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-93 ... LnEALw_wcB
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:06 pmThanks FS, I really like that idea and method.. I've never heard of or even seen it done that way on a bandsaw!
I also have never known anyone else to do that way; I suppose we "invented" this method after experiencing the frustrations of first trying to solidly grip the axle without marring it, and then trying to start a neat cut with a hand-held hacksaw.