Race Friday. My latest problem....

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Race Friday. My latest problem....

Post by Sleestak »

So I prepped my 3 axels and bent them with my tool I hammer at 2.5 degrees. After the mess of playing with duport chain saver and cleaning the axles the black marker I made on the axel head to show when the bend starts is cleaned off. Hope Im explaining this well. You mark an axel head and place in the tool then hit with hammer a few times. This shows where the bend is and where the axel places in the back and front of the car. Back 2 marker lines at 6 o clock position the front passager side at 12 noon position. My problem is....The marker is cleaned off. The only way I can see where the bend starts is with my cheater glasses and then kinda guess and mark it again. A 2.5 degree bend is pretty slight. My worry is the back 2 tires may not be exactly the same. Maybe one axel at 530pm position and the other at 6:45pm position. For peace of mine I still have time to run to hobby lobby and buy 4 axles for 5 bucks or so and do all the sanding and diamond dust compound work then mark and bend the new axels. Would take about 1 hour tonight. Or will eyeballing and guessing where the exact 6 o clock position on my ready ready axels be fine?
Sleestak
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Race Friday. My latest problem....

Post by Sleestak »

I relized if I wanted to start over for peace on mind I would just have to buy new axels and just sand and bend the back 2. The front one is fine as that will rotate to where I need it to ride into the rail 1 or 2" over 5 feet.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Race Friday. My latest problem....

Post by davet »

How did you do tonight? I just saw your post.sorry.
Search on YouTube a video by Lightninboy titled Simple Alignment Test for Pinewood Derby.
We used this method to align our bent axles and to check for a good drill when we went that route.
It is the best way to align rear wheels