Test Track?

General track discussions.
DougD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Test Track?

Post by DougD »

I don't know if this has already been addressed before, so I apologize if it has...

I was wondering if there are places to go test run your car on a track? I'm not a wizard at woodworking or anything mechanical, so it would be nice to catch any problems with the car before the race. (Our derby is this Saturday)

Is there perhaps a website that might have a list of "public tracks"?

Thanks,

Doug D.
Bulldog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Test Track?

Post by Bulldog »

I've seen relatively cheap wooden test tracks on ebay. Nothing like a real derby track, but it should tell you if there is anything catastrophic going on. I've also seen plastic test tracks available at our scouting store.

Our pack has a 'pit night', (ours is this thursday), where they set up the track and the boys can take test runs. We also have a 'pit crew', with weights, graphite and dremels in hand to help the boys fine tune their cars. Perhaps you could convince your pack to adopt a similar tradition.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

The other thing to do is to call around to some local hobby shops.

Ours locally don't set up a track (although I keep squeezin' 'em to do so), but kratev13 has a local place by him that sets one up for the season and lets the boys do test runs on it.

Just a thought.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
DERBYMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DERBYMAN »

1/4 IN. plywood 6 to 8 ft X 4IN . 1 Wood lat . Glue on plywood . Put one end on brick and let it roll down
DougD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DougD »

DERBYMAN wrote:1/4 IN. plywood 6 to 8 ft X 4IN . 1 Wood lat . Glue on plywood . Put one end on brick and let it roll down
Thanks Derbyman... But I was hoping to find an option that wouldn't require further expense... Got a mortgage payment due... :(

Doug...