Race one week from tonight

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Race one week from tonight

Post by JackBauer »

We haven't even started yet! This isn't going to turn out good...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Race one week from tonight

Post by sporty »

Jack,

Now have faith, alot can be done in a short time, just take your time and read alot on what is posted here !

you still have time ! just coming here can help you out !

Sporty
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Jack,

One week, no problem. I re-read your posts from last year. Take a step back and think about what you said you think hurt you guys last year. Axles and alignments. Given the time constraints you have a couple of quick suggestions. (worth only what you're paying for them! :mrgreen: )

First, don't get overly worried about design. Think of a simple wedge or straight line cut. Remember Krylon spray paint, available at WalMart, drying time is only about 15 minutes. Car can be cut, sanded and painted in a couple of hours. Sticker decals, cockpits, toy engines can all be added quickly to make it "sporty". Evening one done, only a couple of hours. Evening two, axle prep, (filing and sanding), and wheel prep, (sanding), should be done in an hour. Evening three, weights, (5 minute epoxy from WalMart), install wheels, lube, and start alignment. This leaves a couple of hours for the following 4 evenings to tweak the alignment. Put the time into the axles, wheels and aligment, this is where you get the best return.

Good Luck!
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I agree with the others, it can certainly be done, its a matter of prioritizing your time and I think they have given you great advice there.

My two cents (or less) is that the limiting factor, assuming this is for a car belonging to a Cub, can be the available time and interest of the scout (depending on age, experience and interest). Homework, baseball, soccer, need to get to sleep, etc. and general boredom with any one thing done too long, all can get in the way. Just something to appreciate along with the rest.
sdupont1
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by sdupont1 »

Plenty time, I helped a buddy build his in 2 days, well really 1 1/2 days. Cut out car, again, fast drying paint (wally world). Easily done, we even had time to run it on my track to tune. I don't know about others, but I can clean up a set of axles in about 20 mins. Now the wheels that another issue.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

Well, I'm not sure how much time we are going to have. Tonight is out because I am here at work until 4pm then have night class. It's been so hard to find time because my wife and I are both full-time students.

We kinda put off building the car because I've been so busy trying to get all my classwork done so I can actually graduate. My idea was to get everything done so we would have plenty of time to get stuff done with the car. Then I was sick for almost three weeks. I wasn't planning on that.

Probably what we'll do is just go for a simple wedge. I actually brought the block in with me to work today and marked off where we I am going to cut and drill. Actually yesterday I bought a pre-cut wedge and drilled some holes in the back but wasn't even close to level and drilled the holes out the bottom. So now tonight when I get home from class I will cut the block with a coping saw (son will be asleep, and I wouldn't trust him with a saw anyways) and have him sand it tomorrow.

For those who think I was trying to "cheat" by buying a pre-cut block... it's really hard to do any of this stuff when you don't have a work area or many tools. If any of you live near Iowa City and have a garage with band saws and stuff and want to let us work there, I'd be more than happy to take you up on the offer! As for now, it's so hard to do a lot of stuff. We don't even have a vice or anything to hold the car. I'm not sure how I am going to cut this block tonight.