Pipe Cleaners

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Pipe Cleaners

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Been using Tamiya 87106 swabs for bore polishing using Novus2 and following up with the fuzzy 6mm Chenille Pipe Cleaners from Hobby Lobby. Have recently found some quality DILL'S all cotton cleaners. Im sticking with the Novus but want to experiment with the finishing process. Staying with what I've been doing, or 87106's only, or 87106's with the all cotton fluffy Dill's cleaners or use the Dill's cotton cleaners only ? Thoughts-Recomendations ??
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pipe Cleaners

Post by Loud2ns »

Ratrodsrule1 wrote:Been using Tamiya 87106 swabs for bore polishing using Novus2 and following up with the fuzzy 6mm Chenille Pipe Cleaners from Hobby Lobby. Have recently found some quality DILL'S all cotton cleaners. Im sticking with the Novus but want to experiment with the finishing process. Staying with what I've been doing, or 87106's only, or 87106's with the all cotton fluffy Dill's cleaners or use the Dill's cotton cleaners only ? Thoughts-Recomendations ??
Try all three ways, its the only way to know for sure what works for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pipe Cleaners

Post by Speedster »

Here's something you might like to try. BSA has a bore of .097, Awana bore is larger ( ? )
Do one of your other preps or do one of each. Then take a "Walgreens" cotton swab shaft (.099) and Novus 2 and polish it again. See if anything (crud) comes out on the shaft. Looking through the bore with a magnifying glass see if there is any difference. Then polish new bores with each of your systems and tell us if any 1 looks better then the other. Since you are using Awana wheels they I suspect have a larger bore then BSA. The brand name Q-tip shaft (.101) might be a better choice.

I've tried all the things you have tried but I like the cotton swab shaft the best. I like to hear it squeal a little bit when it first starts. Since the shaft is paper it will soon become wet and soft so I use a new one for each wheel. Put about 1 inch out of the drill. If it's too long you'll never be able to get it started.