Carpenters Union Cut Out Clinic

General race coordinator discussions.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Carpenters Union Cut Out Clinic

Post by Speedster »

I was invited to the Clinic held yesterday where the carpenters are allowed to do nothing but "cut out the cars". We had 150 scouts show up. We were having 2" of rain with flood warnings that I'm sure affected the attendance. Prior years they would get 350 scouts. I was put in Room #1 where scouts were directed that did not have their design drawn on their car. That was a blessing for me. Scouts with their design on the car were directed to Room #2. Adults directed the scouts to the cutting area as a band saw became available. There were 6 bandsaws operating from 9AM to 1PM. My display of 6 wedge cars was set up along with a display of bore polishing, axle prep, etc. Yes, the wedge cars all look a little different but they are all Light in the front and Heavy in the back. Troy Thorne's magazine, "Build a Winning Pinewood Derby Car" was offered for sale. My friend Lynn helped me all day and every car that left Room #1 looked like a car from my display. One of the cars on display had won the "Swan Creek District" race, it was painted Red with Yellow Smiley faces and it seemed to be the most popular with the young scouts. Maybe it was the Red paint that attracted them.

It was a Great Day. Everyone was very kind and Happy we were there. The carpenters training center is absolutely GORGEOUS. I hope all the scouts sign up for Derbytalk. Looking forward to next year.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Carpenters Union Cut Out Clinic

Post by Eagle »

Sounds like a Great Day for all! The ones who didn't show because of the rain will likely be the same ones that complain about other things.

I think it is fantastic that you and the union offer this!

I wish you had some pictures of the day. I would love to see some of what you are describing.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Hi there, Eagle.
I know we have discussed workshops outside of Derbytalk. I followed the same Stations we do in Pack 217's workshop with the same displays. The difference is the scouts are simply introduced to what is done to a car following science. They don't actually polish bores, prep axles, use the concentricity gauge, proper lubing of wheels with graphite etc. We talk about tungsten and lead and tell them where they can purchase it. We do not sell anything except Troy Thorne's book. However, they see the visuals and can read why it's done. When they enter Room #1 they are told everything they will learn in this room will be about what is needed to "Make a block of wood go down a hill fast using gravity". They all chose one of our models from the display. Yes, they all used the long end for the front. I'm sure a lot of the information they received will be forgotten but they all will remember they received a lot of information. We have been invited back. The carpenters have made me very Happy.

Doc Jobe's Big Green book was open to Page 40.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Yes and I appreciate what you have shared. I am putting it to use. It's always good to see different setups, shops, layouts, traffic flows, etc. Maybe next time someone shoots some pics so I/we have visual to go along with the messaging.

You never know who will remember what, but they wouldn't have it to forget had you all not put on the event.
Thanks again!