Derby Repair Tool Kit

General race coordinator discussions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Derby Repair Tool Kit

Post by gpraceman »

I put together a tool kit for cars that run into a problem during a race. It has come in very handy for a variety of repairs. I keep this with me near the start gate so I can grab it for any car that is having trouble finishing.

From Left to Right:
+ Axle Pliers
+ Mini Screwdriver Phillips and Flat Blade
+ Pin Vise
+ Graphite in a Bottle with Needle Applicator and cap on the tip
+ Utility Knife

All of this in a nice little zippered case.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Derby Repair Tool Kit

Post by Speedster »

That's very nice and very thoughtful.

Our problems are usually before the particular race starts. We are set up the same as we are at our workshops. After 35 years with a height limit of 2 1/2", this year our height limit has been raised to 4 1/2". The 25/64" drill bit and 3/8" lead rod corrects a common problem fast. Glitter is our biggest challenge.

We'll see what the little children come up with to challenge me tomorrow.

Ladies and Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES !
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:26 amOur problems are usually before the particular race starts. We are set up the same as we are at our workshops. After 35 years with a height limit of 2 1/2", this year our height limit has been raised to 4 1/2". The 25/64" drill bit and 3/8" lead rod corrects a common problem fast. Glitter is our biggest challenge.
Well, one thing that I do for all the races that I run is to do a test run of the cars down the track (individually and not timed) before racing starts. If a car doesn't finish, then it goes to the pit area to get a tune up. In most races, we get all cars to cross the finish line by doing this. Where the tool kit comes in handy, normally for me, is during those test runs when I see some issue with why a car is not finishing. Maybe the wheels are pushed in too far and are rubbing on the car body (the axle pliers are great for tweaking that spacing). Maybe a wheel or axle needs to be replaced. Another good use of the axle pliers. Maybe they did not do a good job of trimming off the plastic mold nubs on the wheels (Awana wheels). The utility knife is great for that. No sign of lube, then I grab the graphite bottle. If an axle won't go in as it should, I pull the wheel and use the pin vise and do some hand drilling to get the block to more readily accept the axle.

On Wednesday, I did a race for a local Awana club. They tested a car several times down the track and did tweaks on it, but it still had a hard time finishing. I grabbed my lube bottle and lubed it on both sides of the wheels. Then it finished no problem. I think their graphite tube just wasn't getting the graphite into the wheel bores. That's what is great about those needle applicators. You can get the graphite in there better.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, I know you do a Great job. I've had the honor of watching you work. My Hats Off to you. Keep up the Great work.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Grate looking tool kit there Randy.. looks like you've got it covered!

I don't know if i'd ad a bottle of ca glue to the tool kit or not.. because it might get messy if it leaks out however it might be handy
to have one for Glueing weights back on.
And maybe i'd toss in one of those fancy finger nail buffing & polishing sticks as well plus a few Band -Aid's in case of a miss hap with the Utility knife.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The Pack races are over. No problems with height or Glitter this year. However, we did have a car at Inspection was 120 grams, no graphite, and of all things, running on 4 wheels. On the Positive side the axles were not glued in and the car was a wedge shape. We have a drill set up with a 25/64" drill bit and marked for the depth we use at our workshops. Another drill is set up with a #44 drill bit for raising wheels. The wheels were pulled and Dad was given quick instructions on lube, one hole was drilled behind the rear axle slot for a 3/8" x 1 1/2" lead rod (one ounce) and the left front wheel was raised. A piece of duct tape the color of the car was put over the hole. The wheels were installed by Dad and Scout using a notched credit card and the Maximum Velocity Axle Install Support. I don't know how the car did in the race because the next group was coming for repairs which is usually simply being overweight. OK, I'm Human. The biggest thrill I got out of all of this was the Amazement that came out of Grandma's mouth.

We do not take the drill press out of the truck. It just doesn't look nice at the races.