New Derby Products 2006-2007 Season

Provides software for Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, Awana Grand Prix, Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta or other similar races. Providing high quality software solutions that will help with planning and conducting your races.

Moderator: gpraceman

psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Derby Products 2006-2007 Season

Post by psycaz »

Coffee can,
Heck, I'd do it for a half filled sandwich bad, even quarter filled.
Tungsten is expensive, but very, very nice to work with.
Only person I would have known to get tungsten moved away a couple years ago. Before my son got into cub scouts. Too bad for me.

Take my advise, get all that you can get all that tungsten. You could even sell what you don't need to allow yourself to pickup things you don't have or want to improve tool wise.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

psycaz wrote:...Take my advice, get all that you can get of that tungsten. You could even sell what you don't need to allow yourself to pickup things you don't have or want to improve tool wise.
Do they have any scrap wood, paint, lubricant at the shop?

Reminds me of one of my all time favorites:

"I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round."

The late, great Johnny Cash.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Go Bubba Go wrote:
tmbnorm wrote:We are going to give tungsten a try next year.

The plant that I work at has a metal shop.
They have scrap tungsten cylinders that I got from the shop manager.

Total cost $0.00.

Can't beat that price!
Dude, opportunity knocks!!!

I'd be offering to bring in donuts every time the guy fills a coffee can for you. One man's scrap is another man's PWD gold.
I am not sure how much scrap they generate, but in one afternoon I got about 12 oz of the stuff. I will collect all that I can in the next months.

Anyone care for a trade?
Last edited by tmbnorm on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmbnorm
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by tmbnorm »

Go Bubba Go wrote: Do they have any scrap wood, paint, lubricant at the shop?
No paint and wood, but they do have a few really nice drill presses!
Really high dollar ones.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

tmbnorm wrote:...I am not sure how much scrap they generate, but in one afternoon I got about 12 oz of the stuff. I will collect all that I can in the next months.

Anyone care for a trade?
I think this is what is referred to as an "emerging marketplace".

Maybe Randy can set up a "Tradin' Post" forum (only kidding).

Reminds me of baseball cards from yeeeaaars ago. "I'll trade you a vintage 1690 kit and a set of last year's (unsealed box) number 5 wheels for 12 oz. of Tungsten scraps and a used wheel mandrel". (Chuckle, chuckle).

Keep an eye on your PM inbox. I was gonna do all my "Off Season" work in lead, but now I'm rethinking my options...
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Go Bubba Go wrote:Maybe Randy can set up a "Tradin' Post" forum (only kidding).
Not a bad idea. There are occasionally members looking to sell small quantities of stuff or to trade.

I've added that forum, so those members that want to buy, sell or trade, go to town. Note, this new forum is not for merchants, as there is already this forum for them to hock their wares.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
GILLS
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GILLS »

I just wanted to follow up, the kids did well with the new weights. With the tungsten plates we were able to go thinner than ever before. We went at 3/8" high body,and we routers out 1/4" underneath for the tungsten plates. We made two stacks of three each. This gave us about four of the six plates even and below the axle plane. Here is a tip, with a 3/8" tall body before sanding, the screw that comes with the plates will protrude thru the top of the car about 1/32". I took the screw out and flipped the plate over so the screw head would'nt go in the countersunk hole of the plate, and this kept the screw from punching thru the body. After some well worked alignment, my son had a VERY fast car. He went undefeated, and had a few heats with a 3.04 time, and the rest were in the 2.9's. The only bad thing was that the 3oz total plate weight wasn't enough and we had to finish it off with segmented lead weights.