Remote Control Start Gate

Manufacturers of The Judge timers. Also manufactures solenoid start gates and light trees.

Moderator: John Shreffler

John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Remote Control Start Gate

Post by John Shreffler »

See this latest Pinewood concept at www.newdirections.ws/startgate.htm
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remote Control Start Gate

Post by gpraceman »

John,

Looks very nice.

Can you use the solenoid start without the light tree to trigger it by using a manual switch? It is good to have a fallback, if there is a problem with the remote control or light tree. You may also have some customers wanting the solenoid gate but not the light tree.

I assume that the plug that I see is for powering the solenoid and there is some other cable that would go from the light tree to the solenoid. Is that correct? Is there some other cable that goes from the gate to the timer for the start indication?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

The black plastic box has sockets for the solenoid, the computer, the Judge cable, and for the Light Tree. I suppose it would be possible to offer a mechanical switch that bypasses the optical switch powered by the Light Tree. But the whole concept is to provide the mystique of nobody near the start gate.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

John Shreffler wrote:The black plastic box has sockets for the solenoid, the computer, the Judge cable, and for the Light Tree.
So the computer hooks into the solenoid box instead of the timer?
John Shreffler wrote:I suppose it would be possible to offer a mechanical switch that bypasses the optical switch powered by the Light Tree. But the whole concept is to provide the mystique of nobody near the start gate.
Mystique is one thing, but but I think it would be practical to have a manual switch available. Technology is great, but it is always good to have a fall back. That and maybe some customers may not want to foot the bill all at once for a light tree and the solenoid start gate, so it would be nice if the the solenoid was capable of working without the tree. Maybe add another jack to the solenoid control box for a manual switch. A switch on the end of a short cable would allow the operator to stand away from the track as the solenoid is triggered.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Also it would be great to have the optical switch operate only the start gate with maybe a two press function. This way the light tree could start counting at the first press and then at the second press be able to get the green light for GO thereby dropping the start gate and the green light coming on at the same time. This would also allow people to not have to have the light tree. I think that it could work kinda like a garage door opener.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

This will never become a high production item, so it is practical to treat each order separately. Some additional information:
Yes, the computer does plug into the black box. I normally supply a small circuit card that acts as a junction point for the computer, the Judge, and a magnetic switch. Using the green light as the start signal eliminates the mag switch, so it became a natural next step to use the box itself as the junction. Makes a cleaner design.

The circuitry in the box does not contain a low voltage power supply, so it is not possible to use a simple switch (unless you want to switch 120 VAC) You could, however, plug in your own 3-8 volts DC as a back-up start signal, or as a bridge until you buy the Light Tree. It is always good to eliminate cables, however.

Let me know what you want on your gate, and just send money. :D
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Watch-out-for-that-frog »

I know this sounds bad but we have a Micro Wizard timer and would love to have a Tree / Start gate I can run from GPRM.

We gave up on the laser start line because of the mount just could not get it to work properly. :(
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
Former Pack Master of Pinewood Disaster
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

This can probably be arranged. Any objection to starting the race with a button from a remote control, as opposed from a keystroke from your keyboard? I might have to consult with Microwizard Stu Ferguson to see if there are any other issues with the interface.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

If it is all controlled by the race program the better. Unless we figure out a way 6 boys can all start the race ;)
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Watch-out-for-that-frog wrote:If it is all controlled by the race program the better. Unless we figure out a way 6 boys can all start the race ;)
There is a possibility of kicking off the light sequence through GPRM. John and I have discussed this some, but I haven't had the time here during the busy season to dive into it.
Randy Lisano

Watch-out-for-that-frog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

No problem we are done with our derby I am running derbies for other packs the rest of the season. So if and or when let us all know BETA testing is okay too.

Besides I think this is my last season unless our pack hasa a derby before next years blue and gold.
Smooth Sailing,
Karlton