OH NO! WHERE's my Power cord! Race tomorrow!

Commercial timing systems
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: OH NO! WHERE's my Power cord! Race tomorrow!

Post by rdeis »

gpraceman wrote:
rdeis wrote:If you think 12V is it, I may be in luck-- I have a 12V DC/500mA with the right style of plug in my collection!
The SmartLine timer that I have uses a 12VDC 500mA power supply, so that will fit the bill perfectly.

That does seem a bit strange, since other serial timers use 9V or less to power their timers.
Same polarity? +inside, - outside?
AWESOME!!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rdeis wrote:Same polarity? +inside, - outside?
That is correct.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

4 lane = 500 ma
6 lane = 800 ma
W Racing!!!!
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Success!

Post by rdeis »

Many thanks, all- the adapter fit and the race went off mostly without a hitch! :)

We found one of the LEDs burned out, but we've seen that problem before-- jury rigged it with a mini maglite and all is well.

Score one for DerbyTalk!

Rob Deis
Cubmaster
Pack #149, Falcon, CO
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Success!

Post by Stan Pope »

rdeis wrote:Many thanks, all- the adapter fit and the race went off mostly without a hitch! :)

We found one of the LEDs burned out, but we've seen that problem before-- jury rigged it with a mini maglite and all is well.

Score one for DerbyTalk!

Rob Deis
Cubmaster
Pack #149, Falcon, CO
Way to go!

The technology has shifted while I wasn't looking! The mini maglite was used to "back light" the display? That sounds more like LCD technology! (Which is usually much lower power drain than an LED.) Dunno what is used behind to illuminate, but being separate from the display electronics has got to cut the replacement costs! :) Anybody know the internals of these big displays?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rdeis »

Stan Pope wrote: The mini maglite was used to "back light" the display?
Nope- It's a 7 year old timer with the red LED displays, and those are fine.

The burned out LED was the infra-red that is used to make the beam for the lane 1 detector at the finish line. So when the timer was set up, lane 1 showed a "c" indicating a connection failure. After checking and re-checking the alignment, we got out a flashlight to test it the detector.

The flashlight is hot enough that the infra-red detectors can see it, so we duct-taped the flashlight in place on the top bar next to the infra-red LEDs and aimed down at the detector. The "c" goes away, and you can function normally.

My Nephew's pack has a different brand of timer that experienced the same failure last year, and we were able to rig it the same way. (Hopefully they got it fixed properly before this year. He's crossed over so I don't know.... That might actually be worth a phone call to remind them!)
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

rdeis wrote:The burned out LED was the infra-red that is used to make the beam for the lane 1 detector at the finish line.
Oops! That's a LED, too! :oops:

Makes more sense, now!

Sorry so slow to respond ... took Bride out to see Franc D'Ambrosio's program "Broadway". He puts on a good show.
Stan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

rdeis wrote:Nope- It's a 7 year old timer with the red LED displays, and those are fine.
Seven years old? :scratching: The company that makes those timers hasn't been in business anywhere near that long.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

From the manufacturer (Received this morning but timer was already working so not urgent to post):

It is 12V DC output and for a 4 lane and under it is 500mA and 6 lane or more is 800mA. 5.5mm OD and 2.1mm ID. Center positive.
W Racing!!!!
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rdeis »

gpraceman wrote:
rdeis wrote:Nope- It's a 7 year old timer with the red LED displays, and those are fine.
Seven years old? :scratching: The company that makes those timers hasn't been in business anywhere near that long.
Dunno- the pack had it at least one year before we showed up, I thought 2- my elder son joined them as a Tiger and just crossed over. Younger son's still racing!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The copyright notice on their website timer page says 2004. :)
Stan
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:The copyright notice on their website timer page says 2004. :)
Maybe time has just gone by faster than I thought.
Randy Lisano