Looking for current opinions of timer brands

Commercial timing systems
SirStorm
Journeyman
Journeyman

Looking for current opinions of timer brands

Post by SirStorm »

Preamble: Our scouting group is church based and called Pathfinders. Last year we hosted an area wide Pinecar Derby meet that netted 198 entries and 11 clubs. We used a 6 lane Bestrack with a Fasttrack timer- vintage early 2000s. (not my track so not sure exactly of age) Race turned out great and we maxed out our time at 6 hours.

THIS YEAR: We want to increase capacity by purchasing a 2nd track.

QUESTION: There appears to be a spread range of $$$ on the cost of the different timers on the market. There is also a lack of head to head comparisons on performance and value. I want to know if anyone has current information/opinions on this years timer models? This will be a significant investment and the timer is the critical link.

We use Grand Prix software and use timed races. The track will be a 6 lane aluminum (brand not settled yet)

Thank you for your input.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for current opinions of timer brands

Post by gpraceman »

SirStorm wrote:QUESTION: There appears to be a spread range of $$$ on the cost of the different timers on the market. There is also a lack of head to head comparisons on performance and value. I want to know if anyone has current information/opinions on this years timer models? This will be a significant investment and the timer is the critical link.
Since you are using GPRM, there is a comparison of timers pertaining to what GPRM features each supports. That may be of some help. Cost will really boil down to what features you want. I do recommend getting a timer that has some form of results display (finish order or times). That way you can use it without having a computer, for testing purposes or just in case you run into a problem trying to get the communication working between the timer and computer.
SirStorm wrote:The track will be a 6 lane aluminum (brand not settled yet)
There are several threads on Derby Talk comparing the two brands of aluminum tracks that you can use for your research. On the 6 lanes, IMO, save some money and just get a 4 lane track. Refer to http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6084 on why.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
SirStorm
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by SirStorm »

Thanks for the feature comparison chart, I think that is the only one in existence.

Does anyone have recent experience with current models? I'm looking for reliability and consistency information. Can it be assumed all the major brands work equally well, cost and features the only considerations?

Thank you also for the thread on track lanes. I am considering the points noted.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Fortunately, the major brands are good timers and the manufacturers provide good customer support.

Personally, I prefer a timer that has its own light source for the sensors. I have received a fair amount of comments from those with timers that do not come with a light source about running into problems making sure the sensors were properly illuminated. Some overcame that issue by building a bridge over the track with an incandescent or LED light over each sensor. I built such a bridge for a buddy, but he still ran into problems and ditched that timer for one that had its own light source.

The only other thing that I would recommend against is a laser start sensor. They can be really finicky with beam alignment. Using a switch to detect the start of the race is much more reliable.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

As one of the makers of the low-cost high performance finish lines to which Randy refers, please let me address the illumination issue: Almost all incandescent bulbs over the finish line will work, but some are better than others. What you are looking for are sharp shadows. You get that by having a single point source, or as near as possible to a point source. A clear glass bulb with a small filament is far better than a frosted bulb for instance. This type of light is harsh to look at, so you will want to shade it from your audience.

A ceiling mounted reflector spot light is a very good choice. Bi-pin halogen bulbs are great because they always have small filaments. For situations with very high ceilings, you might have to be creative.

Remember, it is the infrared content that is being sensed. Florescent bulbs, either tubular or compact “curly cues” will not work. The new white LED lights will not work either. None of these bulbs have any IR content. Perhaps that explains the trouble Randy was having.

I will be expanding my web page soon to include practical tips on the use of single light bulb illumination. For anybody with practical skills, providing your own source is very simple, and the cost savings are well worth the effort.

[moderator edit to remove advertising]
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Again, it is my personal preference to have a timer with its own light source. I find it to be less hassle, since I don't have to provide my own light source. That and generally, timers with their own light source are more compact, saving on storage space. If someone wishes to save money and get a timer without a light source, they certainly can. As with many purchases, there are pros and cons to the choices that they should be aware of to make an informed purchasing decision.
John Shreffler wrote:Remember, it is the infrared content that is being sensed. Florescent bulbs, either tubular or compact “curly cues” will not work. The new white LED lights will not work either. None of these bulbs have any IR content. Perhaps that explains the trouble Randy was having.
Actually, I believe that it was more of an issue getting the lights in good alignment with the sensors. My buddy uses a Best Track and with the timer that he was using, the sensors are recessed well below the track surface. That makes it more critical to get the lights in line with the sensors. Instead of fussing with it, he went with a timer that had its own light source and he now has one less problem to worry about.
Randy Lisano

John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

Oh, now I understand. Yes, you can’t put a row of sensors down deep. Each has to be able to see the light source.

The sensors need to be up at the top of the holes like this:

[moderator edit to remove advertising]
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I have only used the Microwizard Fast Track timers - and can say I am quite happy with them and their product - great customer support.
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by msurebel »

The Judge has a new transponder for those of us who use software. Has anyone had any experience with it. It's new, so I'm wondering?
PeteA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteA »

*5 J's* wrote:I have only used the Microwizard Fast Track timers - and can say I am quite happy with them and their product - great customer support.

Im in full agreement here and the customer service/warranty repair are 2nd to none