Derby Magic Timer on Besttrack

Commercial timing systems
Spaceman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Derby Magic Timer on Besttrack

Post by Spaceman »

Does anyone have any advice or photos of how to mount Derby Magic timer on a 6-lane Besttrack? Specifically the components at the starting line (micro switch, control box/interface, and solenoid)? I also found that screw holes need to be drilled to properly mount and align the finish line, which is somewhat challenging to get the holes in the precise location based on the profile of the Bestrack lane. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Derby Magic Timer on Besttrack

Post by gpraceman »

Have you tried contacting Derby Magic?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Spaceman, I can't imagine what you are facing. I'm very familiar with the Best track and Champ timer. Is all this equipment brand new?
I obviously know nothing about why you have a 6 lane Best track and a Derby Magic timer. At this time, that is your situation.

If someone handed me this package and said, "Make something work", this is what I would do.

The 4 lane Best track is probably the most popular for a lot of reasons. I would make it a 4 Lane track and buy a Champ timer. Has Best track punched in any visible holes?

If everything is new you probably can return some things.
I truly do Wish you the Very Best.
Spaceman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spaceman »

gpraceman wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:11 pm Have you tried contacting Derby Magic?
I did contact them regarding drilling the holes for the finish line. They provided drawings of the lower portion of the timer showing the screw inserts relative to the holes for the LEDs, which was helpful. I wasn't going to push them for much more since they sell their own tracks.

I was more of just looking for if someone had a "best practice" on mounting the start line electronics and solenoid specific to Besttrack and Derby Magic. There are lots of possibilities, so wanted to see if anyone had a configuration that worked well.

Thanks!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Spaceman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:05 pm I did contact them regarding drilling the holes for the finish line. They provided drawings of the lower portion of the timer showing the screw inserts relative to the holes for the LEDs, which was helpful. I wasn't going to push them for much more since they sell their own tracks.
Anyone who sells timers, whether they offer their own tracks or not, should know how to mount their timer to any of the popular tracks, which of course includes Best Track. That's just where I was coming from.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Spaceman, Please stay with me for just a couple of minutes. This is just information on what could be.

A new 2 lane 42' Best track sells for $662.00 with shipping and you already have one. All it needs are a bunch of individual parts to make a Start gate which costs about $55.00.
You now have a very popular 4 lane Best track and also a very popular 2 lane Best track. Small scout packs, individuals, are very happy with a 2 lane Best track.
You also have 2 very popular 1 lane Best tracks. A 1 lane Champ timer can be purchased for the Best track and also Micro Wizard timers have one lane timers for the Best track.

A 4 lane Champ timer sells for $630.00.

Our Pack has a 42' four lane Best track with the Champ timer. Our Cub Scout, Girl Scout, OUTLAW races were yesterday. Everything went flawlessly, There was only 1 downside to the OUTLAW race. I didn't win it. My personal track is a 2 lane 35' Best track because that's all my garage will tolerate.

I truly do Wish you the Very Best.