Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

DIY tracks.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

Post by doct1010 »

knavekid wrote:While reading this topic, I had the idea that for a multi-lane test track with a timer, the lane guide for each lane could be different to simulate various track types. A smooth vinyl guide could simulate new or aluminum tracks, a wood guide for wood tracks, and perhaps a less than ideal wood guide to simulate weathered wood tracks. The lane surfaces could be painted or coated as well.

This would greatly enhance its utility as a test track.
You are hearby christened a pinehead ! Careful it can be contagious warn the neighbors. Symptoms vary, however it is believed the "infectious etiology" is induced by the first inhale of pinewood dust. We have support groups available should you feel the need, membership is filling quickly. Our hotline is currently down during racing season. :D
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

Post by quadad »

Just back to the track design for a moment ... I don't know how the "piano hinge" helps keep alignment, vertically. Or is it just for horizontal ? I assume this is one of the long, skinny flat hinges.

I am going to try supporting my 2nd (curved) section with 1/4" plywood and if necessary, the 1" x 2" boards. I am overlapping the 2nd section onto the 1st (sloped) and 3rd (horizontal) sections that are on thick plywood. Wish me luck !!!