Track section length

DIY tracks.
altontoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Track section length

Post by altontoth »

I'm building a new 5 lane Kub Kar track for our Group/Area/Me. I know that standard length is 8', but for ease of storage and portability, has anyone else built different length sections? I should point out that this will be a wood track. I was thinking of going to 6 or 7 6' sections (optimum plywood consumption is not a concern, obviously). Look forward to suggestions / feedback.

Alton Toth
1st South Vancouver Rovers
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Track section length

Post by Mr. Slick »

Lots of people have non-8ft sections.

The BetaCraft Aluminum plating is 93" long(3" less then 8ft)

The BestTrack sections are 7ft long.

I would recommend going with a shorter then 8ft section.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Micro Wizard track sections are also a bit shorter than 8ft. That way you can build a storage crate with regular 8ft plywood, which is a good idea to protect any track, even a wooden one.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
altontoth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by altontoth »

My only concern would be getting enough flex out of 6' sections of plywood. One of my fellow leaders seemed to think 6' sections wouldn't flex enough. Thoughts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

altontoth wrote:My only concern would be getting enough flex out of 6' sections of plywood. One of my fellow leaders seemed to think 6' sections wouldn't flex enough. Thoughts?
That's possible. You could always do some parallel relief cuts on the lane guides to help that section more easily curve. Overall, I think you are better off going no less than 6ft long sections.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.