Weight bias Equation

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Weight bias Equation

Post by Speedster »

Gentlemen, if I might back up here for a moment.

A few years back some of us wanted to race against our good friend "Sporty" who built very fast scout cars with his son and was frequently on Derbytalk with his vast knowledge. We signed up for Adult Racing at the Mid America race and at that time the lube was limited to graphite for Adults. I knew from Doc Jobe that smaller axles do not go faster so I chose the .093. The first few times down the track I knew something was wrong and I replaced the dfw axle with a .087 axle.
Times changed for the better. I left the .093 axles on the rears.

Here's the reason I even started talking about this. I know RRR, I consider him a good friend, and I know he's not lazy. In fact, the exact opposite is true. He and his AWANA racer builds cars for AWANA and they both wanted to continue to race. That is why he talks about league racing. AWANA has a larger diameter axle and also a larger bore in their wheels. However, he is required to use a BSA wheel that has a .097 bore. If RRR would think like I did then I'm fairly certain it would hurt a lot more then help.

That is what I'm trying to show and I believe it to be true. At this point I probably don't need to run the test. I've put this in everyone's mind and Eagle has made a comment about it. I'm going to run the test. It will be Fun.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Speedster....been thinking about the experiment. The bore size should have some effect on the findings. The league guys have the opportunity to purchase trick wheels that have been manipulated and the selected wheels for their machine work may be chosen by bore size along with other factors to better accommodate the 093's. Just another thing to factor in. LOL I wonder what bore size was the wheel used in the Mid America experiment ? It may not have been a fair comparison but you're the man that will find the truth. Thanks for all you do.......RRR
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Speedster thanks for the acknowledgment about not being lazy. That Crazy, Lazy, Hazy days of summer post was just me being me with a little misdirection. Who ever may have mentioned we might be lazy doesn't know the work ethic of The Do It For Dale Flyin' Ace's Pit Crew. We may get out run from our current lack of league racing knowledge but we refuse to lose because we got out worked !! That just doesn't happen !! Anyone that viewed the replay of last month's race in Eagle Mountain will see the lil AWANA car that couldn't didn't win any heats but didn't finish dead last in the field either, it was rite there at the beam and gave some of the fastest guys in the country all they could handle.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Speedster thanks for the acknowledgment about not being lazy. That Crazy, Lazy, Hazy days of summer post was just me being me with a little my strange sense of humor and a bit of misdirection. Who ever may have mentioned we might be lazy doesn't know the work ethic of The Do It For Dale Flyin' Ace's Pit Crew and you know something about my Jr. Olympic coaching style. We may get out run from our current lack of league racing knowledge but we refuse to lose because we got out worked !! That just doesn't happen !! Anyone that viewed the replay of last month's race in Eagle Mountain will see the lil AWANA car that couldn't didn't win any heats but didn't finish dead last in the field either, it was rite there at the beam and gave some of the fastest guys in the country all they could handle.....RRR
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

So, there is still an Awana Nationals?

Do you have a link you could post up of said race? Sounds like fun.

So, you also go by Do It For Dale over on APR?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I'm sorry if I have caused confusion. RRR races AWANA involved in his church. I know of no other AWANA race then the one with his church.
He and his racer then joined a league so they could continue to race. I think races are held every month. RRR likes oil. If memory serves me, Eagle likes oil.

Is it possible Derbytalk will see a race between RRR and Eagle? The races are televised. I suspect that race would be very entertaining for lots of folks on Derbytalk. I surely would enjoy watching it.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Yes about the DIFD Eagle, we haven't raced APR but have spoken to Terry and it is in the plan to do so. He's like Speedster, a great guy with a lot of knowledge. There are Nationals but most churches in our area stay to themselves with only 1 Grand Prix per year. The race discussed was our first race ever outside our Church gymnasium and outside of AWANA in general.

There was no explanation as to why this little unit ran as hard as it did but I suppose occasionally you just get one dialed in. With granddaughter aging out of AWANA we didn't want it to stop so league racing we went. We were told we were welcome to come but not to show up with an AWANA car to run in the BASX class, we would just get embarrassed and should just build a new car to BASX standards. The ceiling to belong in BASX is a sub 3 and we would never make a sub 3 with that car but we sent it anyway.

What they knew: Not a plank, wrong wheel base, left hand steer
What they didn't know: repaired RR axle boss, Terrible drill, randomly positioned weighting just to make weight, 1/8 to short on the nose (long story).

We didn't win any heats but made a decent showing with a 2.9960 4 run average.
You'll notice in the vid that we gave up too much the last few feet. With all it's woes I think the 1/8 inch caused enough fall off on the big end as we were giving everyone's weight an 1/8 head start at the start that translated to less kinetic at bottom of the hill and it just caught up to us down track.But we were right there with some of the fastest guys in the country.

For ease of watching when the track screen converts to the scoreboard screen pause and find the heat number at the top middle of the screen. FF to our heats to not have to watch the whole race unless you just want to.We're Do It For Dale Racing. Granddaughter is The Intimidator, my POJ I just threw together to have a car in the race is Ironhead.....no sub 3 there LOL LOL !!

Intimidator Heat30 Red lane, Heat 34 White lane. Heat 37 Blue lane, Heat 39 Yellow lane
Ironhead: Heat 23 Red, 27 White, 30 Blue, 32 Yellow
https://youtu.be/hvSkQDrJCzc
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Terry is awesome!

So, who is Dale in the name?

Cool racing.

I don't know what that lane ta[e looks like in person, but it is horrible for watching via video.

Are you racing at John's again May 23?
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

!0-4 Eagle racing today after a weekend from Hades last week when The Intimidator did a nose dive off the work bench. When standing there with it's rear clip in one hand and the rest of it's body in the other set in motion a 3 day/night total makeover with only 3 hours sleep per night. Hopefully it won't run uphill today LOL.

We've always been AWANA only and all this league stuff is new to us and the learning curve steep. Why do I have the feeling I'm talking to an experienced builder and racer ? C'mon Man are you messing with me ? LOL LOL If it's a mind game foregetaboutit cuz there ain't one !! I was at Woodstock and I don't remember a thing and you know what that means.The only thing I do remember is some cat named Hendrix and a young lady named Joplin. I truly believe they'll both have long and bright futures in the rock Industry. Time will tell !!

Do It For Dale is a Tribute Movement to honor Dale Earnhardt Sr, started by a early 20's young man (Garrett Mitchell) that goes by Cleetus McFarland on his youtube channel. He's an editor in chief for 1320 Video which is a popular car coverage group but also has his own thing on youtube.

My family has, is and always will be huge Dale Sr. fans. To show you the depths of our roots in the Earnhardt Nation here's a vid of my youngest son (Tim) selling Cleetus his real deal Craftsman Truck Series street legal NASCAR Truck. The truck was built by Lockland Racing for Richard Childress Racing and campaigned by Dave Marcus carrying the Earnhardt graphics scheme. Tim found it and made it street legal. The transaction took place in the parking lot of my former Custom Performance Exhaust Shop that I owned and operated for a quarter century.Enjoy the Vid.......RRR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX10ylLLcOM
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Did you get my PM?

I thought, do to timing, it was Dale Campbell - [no advertising for this vendor].

Used to watch Dale Sr. Gone too soon! I actually witnessed a very similar accident live at PIR.

So, happy NASCAR is back racing. Wish they ran more on FOX. I hate waiting to see the ones they run on FS1.

I'm a newbie to PWD. But, I have been in to racing since I was a kid. I won my first Nationals in Karting the same year as Kevin Harvick won his (different classes). My sister actually raced against him.

Build your skills and join us for http://www.TheWestCoastGrandPRix.com then again at http://www.midamericaderby.com . If we are luck there may be an additional event with some advanced and some new PWD events added to the schedule.

Just do you know, if we can get enough interest I would be happy to host a class or even a regional Awana event.
Ratrodsrule1
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ratrodsrule1 »

Done with AWANA as the Grand Girl has aged out so Carley and PaPa's Racing is now defunct. As you know we're now barley into the league scene as Do It For Dale Racing. Karting....Lake Speed ring a bell ? A home State karting and NASCAR Legend. Hope you read my above reply to you and watched the vid. Saw your WCGP on APR, looks like a nice event and may send when we're better established. A lot of cars in rendering but too many cars, so little time. Whatever we do we want to do it right because we're Doin' It For Dale !!

!2 second pit stop, 2 cans of Sunoco E85, 4 Goodyear Bald Eagles, jack down and gone.......RRR