Pro-Wheel Shaver XT

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pro-Wheel Shaver XT

Post by Teeeman »

I've noticed a phenomenon with squeezing the wheel too tightly... you "dig" the blade, and the resultant down-ramp into the plastic is a self-eating watermelon that keep trying to dig the cutter in deeper and deeper with each pass it seems (not having touched the thumbscrew adjust for blade depth).

Anybody else run into this?

Or I'm imagining it, either way, once this starts, I chuck the wheel and try again.

I'm running out of spare wheels at the rate I'm going trying to perfect my technique with the shaver, and I'm getting nowhere.

The very fact you have to grip the wheel means you squeeze it some... this will distort it enough to show up on the shaver...

seems even making the lightest cuts I can, this particular ugly problem rears its head about 1 out of every 3 wheels I try to work...

RacerX -> you obviously have perfected the tool and technique... can you give us full description of all mods (if any) you have made to the tool, and provide perhaps a video of proper technique (i.e. how to hold the wheel without distorting it, for starters)...

?

If you can shoot and trap the video, you can host it here:

www.putfile.com

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Teeeman wrote:RacerX -> you obviously have perfected the tool and technique... can you give us full description of all mods (if any) you have made to the tool, and provide perhaps a video of proper technique (i.e. how to hold the wheel without distorting it, for starters)...?
Videos of all Pro Tools are at this link
http://www.derbyworx.com/video.htm
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Mike Parrish wrote:
Teeeman wrote:RacerX -> you obviously have perfected the tool and technique... can you give us full description of all mods (if any) you have made to the tool, and provide perhaps a video of proper technique (i.e. how to hold the wheel without distorting it, for starters)...?
Videos of all Pro Tools are at this link
http://www.derbyworx.com/video.htm

are these Racer X's ?

If not, I'm still interested if he is doing anything differently... or precisely as shown in these links?

-Terry
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Teeeman wrote:are these Racer X's ?
DerbyWorx is his site.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Teeeman wrote:
are these Racer X's ?...-Terry
Yes they are.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Terry,

I think you're starting on a low point in the wheel's radius & turning the blade all the way down to meet it. So naturally as the high point is approached the task becomes impossible. I think the instructions call for finding the high spot, backing off it, then turning the thumbwheel 1/10th turn, & then starting the wheel through it's cutting rotation.

It's either that or you have a messed up unit. Did you get upset & bounce it off the floor a few times??? :lol:
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Teeeman wrote:RacerX -> you obviously have perfected the tool and technique... can you give us full description of all mods (if any) you have made to the tool, and provide perhaps a video of proper technique (i.e. how to hold the wheel without distorting it, for starters)...
Terry,

I just tested 3 new shaver "XT's" at random out on a new case and all 3 worked perfect out of the box. I have one laying here on my desk that was in my hand when I had to come up and take a phone call that cut 3 wheels that had a left to right variance of .001" to .0005".

I would be glad to either send you a new one that I know is perfect or check yours out if you would ship it to me. PM me for details.

Race Fast

Racer X
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

RacerX -> PM sent
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Stephen's Dad wrote:Terry,

I think you're starting on a low point in the wheel's radius & turning the blade all the way down to meet it. So naturally as the high point is approached the task becomes impossible. I think the instructions call for finding the high spot, backing off it, then turning the thumbwheel 1/10th turn, & then starting the wheel through it's cutting rotation.

It's either that or you have a messed up unit. Did you get upset & bounce it off the floor a few times??? :lol:
Naw, I haven't thrown it any... never crossed my mind as I can't re-make a new one... the BatWing however was bounced off the garage floor though at one point (laughing!).

So far as the vid instructions and my techniques, they matched up darn closely (if not perfectly).
I have had issues with the tool since delivery, I've spent over 4 hours of re-work to clean up the blade, worked with shims, and even spent time to make a compressive load bushing that required enlarging the slot of the cutter... the goal being to allow the head assembly screw to be tightened sufficiently to hold the assembly without restricting blade travel (also lubed the moving parts with silicone grease).

Nothing I've done compensates for blade walk nor shift in the head assembly (?)... or whatever makes it impossible for me to generate a wheel that free-rolls true on a table smoothly.

-Terry
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Hi Terry,
Maybe you could put up a video of what you are doing. (If able) This way readers could clearly see your procedure and point out what you may be doing that differs from RacerX. (If anything)
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Terry,
I have the same problem. I gave up on it for this year.
The wheel would turn nicely and shave ever so little then gouge with the slightest downturn on the blade.
Back it off ( and it would take several full turns to get it to move) and it would work right for a bit then gouge again.

Seems like the turn screw maybe slipping on mine in and out of the groove used to hold the blade in place. But I have no real idea.

I almost pm'd MaxV when he had all of those bad wheels he wanted rid of to buy some to use to try to work out my issues on.

Racer X,

Please don't take this as something against your products. I think they are the greatest even with my issues with this one.
I figure the Terry may appreciate knowing there is someone else out there with similar issues.
I plan on trying out whatever work around is discovered here on what extra wheels I have left for next year.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

zeezop wrote:Hi Terry,
Maybe you could put up a video of what you are doing. (If able) This way readers could clearly see your procedure and point out what you may be doing that differs from RacerX. (If anything)
I re-reviewed the DerbyWorx videos last night just to be 100% sure I wasn't doing it wrong... I followed instructions even better than in the video... my typical turn on the thumbscrew was on order of probably 1/50th of a turn or less, the shavings I was generating looked like ground plastic fluff, not shavings, etc.

SO if there are differences, yes, there are differences... I'm taking even smaller cuts trying to keep the tool from biting in...

I think at this point I'm not spending any more time with the tool, I have a standing offer to return it to DerbyWorx for assessment/repair/replacment, I'm taking RacerX up on the offer.

-Terry
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, I assume everyone that is commenting on the Pro-Wheel Shaver XT is using the shaver on official BSA wheels. True?

The shaver was tested and found to effective on BSA wheels, PineCar wheels, and Royal Ranger/S&W Wheels. It was tested and found to not work on Awana wheels, PinePro wheels, and official RA wheels.

There are other wheels distributed by various suppliers that the XT was not tested on. If the target wheel is made from a relatively soft plastic, it will not work effectively. A rule of thumb is that if you can distort the wheel by firmly squeezing on the tread, it will not shave properly.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

MaxV wrote:Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, I assume everyone that is commenting on the Pro-Wheel Shaver XT is using the shaver on official BSA wheels. True?

In my case this is absolutely, 200% true.

-Terry
gtobob
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by gtobob »

I'm using BSA wheels. I watched the video. I put some NyOil on the pro hub too and graphite on the wheel. The pro hub tool was set at 3/4" and I turned it counterclock wise.
I set it at the HIGHEST point of the wheel and turned the handle in small increments. It turned and shaved smoothly. The at one point I turned the wheel a couple times and it just jammed! I mean it jammed at a point that passed smoothly just a revolution before (without turning the handle in).
I'm thinking the best thing to use it for is putting sand paper between the blade and wheel and just sand the darn thing.